Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Intel i7 12700kf overclocked itself?

Slayer
Novice
I installed my pc yesterday and did all the updates and wanted to look at my cpu and on how to overclock it

I looked in my bios and all of a sudden it is at 4.8Ghz

What happened i did not change anything yet did this happen after a update or is this a problem now?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Slayer
Novice
Yeah so turns out i am a idiot
I first resetted bios settings

And today i talked with intel

It turns out that my CPU can go to 5Ghz without needing to overclock
Every single core can go to 5Ghz
In windows itself it jumps up to 4.7Ghz but only 1 core is active because more is not needed
I am just stupid in knowing how a CPU works

I feel stupid but at least this problem is solved

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JL75
Beginner

Hi, is XMP activated? That CPU's Turbo Frequency is 4,9Ghz so shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
Slayer
Novice
XMP is a RAM option and has nothingbto do with the CPU

My new theory after looking yesterday is that it has to do with the OC genie from msi
But i am just not sure if they did it right

Because in both setting the voltages are the same and now idk what is right for what
0 Kudos
JL75
Beginner

Yeah I remembered wrong name, if you've got MSI the option I meant was game boost. Should be next to XMP in BIOS?

0 Kudos
megan3000
Valued Contributor I

As JL75 said, you need to verify if the speed you are seeing is due to "a configure/fixed value" or a "real-time value caused by turbo boost"...

I also agree that the BIOS update may cause some settings like OC genie to be enabled...

Nowadays it is very common that many manufacturers set auto OC options in the BIOS in a Enable state as the default value without warning users about the potential impact of this decision, especially when many manufacturers may reject warranty claims due to overclocking... I think this is a very bad approach from the manufacturers...

0 Kudos
Slayer
Novice
Yeah so turns out i am a idiot
I first resetted bios settings

And today i talked with intel

It turns out that my CPU can go to 5Ghz without needing to overclock
Every single core can go to 5Ghz
In windows itself it jumps up to 4.7Ghz but only 1 core is active because more is not needed
I am just stupid in knowing how a CPU works

I feel stupid but at least this problem is solved
0 Kudos