Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15312 Discussions

Intel i7 14700KF Overheating detected 24%

Oxej
Beginner

Hello,

I own an Intel i7 14700KF processor. I encountered an overheating issue during the AIDA64 stress test. I am sharing the screenshots.

System specifications:

• CPU: INTEL Core i7 14700KF
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI
  • GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER
  • Cooler: ASUS TUF GAMING LC II 360 ARGB 360mm
  • RAM: GSKILL 64GB (2x32GB) Trident Z5 Neo RGB 6000MHz CL30 DDR5 1.4V AMD EXPO Dual Kit
  • PSU: ASUS TUF GAMING 1000G 1000W 80+ Gold
  • Case: ASUS TUF GAMING GT502 v2
  • SSD: SAMSUNG 2TB 990 PRO NVMe

The CPU reaches a maximum of 70-80 degrees during gaming, and it doesn’t even reach 80 degrees. The tested games include God Of War and RDR2.

What solutions can you recommend? Can you assist?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

yeah, everything looks good......i can't help you much because of the huge differences in our mb's so i got you this far and from this point on you will need to watch those videos they are really easy to follow and self-explanatory. but I'm here if you need any more help  tc n gl.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AlHill
Super User

At 70 to 80 degress during gaming, you are not overheating.  You should be happy.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

Thank you for your response. I don't quite understand what "Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)" means.

Stress tests say overheating. All cores 100C.
Also, I have not tested the system in Cyberpunk 2077 yet.

In RDR2 and God of War games, the processor reached a maximum of 70-80degrees at 2k Ultra settings.

Do I need to undervolt? Also, will it cause problems for the 252 watt processor and should I lower it? Personally, I don't know if I should lower the PL1 and PL2 values.

I also do automatic fan control using AI in the Asus application. You can see the fan temperature curve in the attachment. Should AI do this control automatically or should the system do it automatically or should I do it manually?

Asus Fan.jpg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What do you not understand about my  signature?

What do you think stress tests are supposed to do?

Why would you need to undervolt?

Yoou will have to ask ASUS about their fan control.

I think you are being a bit paranoid and looking for problems.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

Sorry, I realized later that it was a signature.
It has nothing to do with paranoia. I'm just trying to get an idea because I don't know.

According to the posts I read on the internet, people generally suggested reducing the processor power or voltage because of overheating. I wanted to ask if it is necessary.

In Cyberpunk 2077, the CPU instantly reached 80 degrees.
GPU usage 98%
CPU usage 40%

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

do you know how to set the CPU to true intel specs and not what the MB comes preset at?

that will help lower the cpu package temp and in game temps.

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

No, I don't know. Can you explain how to do it?

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

well i have a gigabyte board and you have an asus so i can try.

if you don't know how to adjust settings in the BIOS get the official intel program called XTU-extreme tuning utility.

then let me know and ill help you with the settings it should be set at.

this video will help but i don't think it gives all the settings.

Motherboard Default settings could be COOKING your CPU! (youtube.com)

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

What I understand from this video is that it only disables the "Asus Multicore Enhancement" setting in the bios settings. Are we going to make any other adjustments?
Am I right?

You can also download the XTU-Extreme program from Intel's own website.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/17881/intel-extreme-tuning-utility-intel-xtu.html

I downloaded and installed it.

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

well, if you watch it a few times you will see he explains how changing the settings puts them as intel default of 253-253-307 in the one part.

pay attn after he makes the changes then goes back into the BIOS and he shows the settings.

and yeah, ill help you i have a 14700K and now that you have seen that video you understand more than before.

so, i use 253-253-307-then 56 seconds then i have MCE-CEP off.

then i also have a loadline calibration...that will be harder to explain because i have no idea about your mb. but I'll see if i can find a video that explains it.

everything i do is in the BIOS....XTU is just a faster way for users who don't know the BIOS settings.

with XTU you can only undervolt not set a load line calibration.

Intel CPU Undervolting Guide - YouTube

How to keep your CPU from melting! (youtube.com)

You NEED to do this with your CPU, NOW! (youtube.com)

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

I got it but the video doesn't show exactly how to change it.

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

with all those videos you should be able to figure it out. i know they show everything i mentioned. let me know how it all turns out for you and gl.

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

I have good news, I think the processor overheat throttle problem can be solved with just one setting.

In the bios settings, the Asus Multicore Enhancement setting was set to --> Lets bios optimized. I changed this setting to --> Disabled Enforce All limits. When I changed this setting, Original Intel limits became available in the CPU Power Management section in the Bios settings. So 360A 154W 56Sec 253W.

I think your setting is 253A 253W-307W and 56sec. Did I understand correctly?

Should I make the same settings as in the other videos? What do you think.

I am sharing the test results. But the processor clock speed was 5000Mhz. Is there a way to do 5.5 this way?

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

On the other hand, should Performance Core Ratio be set to Auto? Or should I Sync All Cores? Or should it be AI?

I enabled Dynamic Tuning Technology. Does it pose a problem?
Also, I haven't made any settings in the XTU program yet.

You can see my bios settings attached.

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

yeah, your loadline calibration is totally different from mine.

i have mine set on power saving mode-auto-auto then 5.

watch those videos i sent you to see if they offer any more insight.

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

What do you think I should do with the load calibration?

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

I watched all the videos. But I didn't fully understand it. Any chance to explain?

0 Kudos
chugzillafx
New Contributor I

i use Cinebench r23 instead and HWiNFO64 also.

yeah, i wish i had an adjust all setting like that but with gigabyte we don't.

and yeah, i don't know why it is using 154W but that could be why its only hitting 5Ghz.

it should be 253W-253W-307A-56sec.

turn off multicore enhancement-MCE and also turn off CEP if possible.

those alone will help a lot.

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

MCE and CEP I don't understand exactly what they do. I'm trying to figure out where to turn it off. I wonder if you know the advantages and disadvantages of turning off MCE-CEP settings?

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

When you say MCE you mean this setting, am I correct? --->   

Asus Multicore Enhancement setting was set to --> Lets bios optimized. I changed this setting to --> Disabled Enforce All limits. When I changed this setting. 

0 Kudos
Oxej
Beginner

I found the CEP setting. As you can see in the image, there are two settings, IA CEP and SA CEP, should I disable both of them?
Or should only IA CEP be disabled?

0 Kudos