Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11684 Discussions

Intel i7 920 not performing at high speeds?

idata
Community Manager

Hey,

I am wondering, in regards to the new i7 920 chip i bought of intel, what sort of file copy speeds i should be getting? At the moment it is taking me approx 5 min to copy 5G of files from one drive to the other. I have installed all the necessary drivers and my device manager is recognising all the 8 cores. I have heard multiple reports of people with similar configurations of these file transfers taking only matter of seconds, can you please give me some advice and what i can do to begin getting these speeds?

Thanks.

Kerrod.

Computer Specs:

Chipset: i7 920

Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme

Ram: 3x 2gb 1600Mhz Corsair DDR3

HDD: 2 x Seagate 7200RPM 32mb Cache Sata Drives

Power Supply: Antec 650W True Power

Video Card: Saphire 4870 512mb

Case: HAF 922.

Operating System: Vista 64bit Ultimate.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Community Manager

Hi Kerrod,

The problem you seem to be having does not really sounds CPU related to me. I think it has something to do with the speed of the harddisks or something with the motherboard/controller. I would run speed tests/benchmarks on your harddisks as a starting point.

Good luck!