Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Intel i9 7900x thermals don't meet intel specifications

MMojs
Beginner

I have a problem,my i9 7900x thermals are horrible.I have asus rampage VI extreme x299 motherboard and custom loop with one 420mm rad and 360mm rad,9 fans.

Problem is,when I do heavy CPU workload,my temps goes up to 90 all the time!Note,I it's not even 100% load,around 70-80%. My cooler do make good contact with IHS.I just don't get it how Intel gets away with this kind of abuse of it's customers.

I bought intel CPU because they have higher IPC than AMD ,but now...the only solution is what delidding?Loosing my warranty just to have stock CPU setting to keep it at acceptable temps range?or to keep the warranty and expect CPU to die under two years or just about when Warranty expires?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Marko911.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are having some issues with the Thermals of your Intel® processor. Allow me to help you regarding this issue you are facing.

Let me share with you that the specifications of the https://ark.intel.com/products/123613/Intel-Core-i9-7900X-X-series-Processor-13_75M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz Intel® Core i9-7900X show that the Tjunction of the processor is 95C. This means that your processor is not overheated, this temperature should not damage the processor. When there are heavy processes assigned to the microprocessor, high temperatures are expected and, if the processor is overclocked, the results might be the same.

I will recommend as well to verify or change the Thermal Paste of the heat sink.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
MMojs
Beginner

I have kryonaut thermal paste between CPU and monoblock.They do make good contact.You do realize this is custom watercooled loop? not air cooling,not AIO watercooling set.Full blown watercooled loop with two thick radiators,60mm thick both ,360mm,420mm radiators.and yet temps are around 90C when at 80-70% load,and I do believe that is because it throttles!I do realize Tjunction is 95C,but c'mon you can't say it's normal that at 2/3 load at stock settings to have these temps,and to run that high on workstation machine and to expect that this 1000eur CPU gonna live few years....I bought my CPU in original package with factory seal on the box from qualified vendor.Would this even work under 200$ AIO watercooling set?I thought people did delidding just for overclocking,not for running plain stock settings....I need to build 3 more stations and now I don't know what to do...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Marko911.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand your issue perfectly nonetheless, as I mentioned this processor is not overheated. In the case, you think the processor is having any problem you can always run an https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Intel® Processor Diagnostic and you can verify the status of it.

Antony S.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are some more things that need to be said.

• Regardless of the cooling solution adopted, you have to properly configure the board's fan speed control before you are going to see it used effectively. The board's fan speed control solution is the entity that has access to temperature information (which no external heatsink-fan, water cooling, etc. solution has access to) and can properly - and in a timely manner - reflect this in terms of fan, blower, pump, etc. speed.

• Tjmax is *not* the right threshold for making fan speed control decisions!! For Desktop Processors, is it Tcontrol!

...S

0 Kudos