Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Intel speedstep and cstate freeze computer

Patrick
Beginner

Hi,

For the past months, I have tried to install windows 10 repeatedly due to various installation error or freezing issue.

This is my first experience with nvme storage. I have upgraded my system from SATA SDD to nvme SSD which has been giving me random windows freezing issue and apparently this is not an new issue. Many other are also facing the same issue.

During these months of testing, I had swapped out my motherboard to another brand, swapped with another ram, got help for 1 to 1 swap for the same brand nvme storage, contact motherboard support for help, contact ssd support for help, tweak power saving mode and registry but nothings seems to fix it.

I noticed that having intel cstate turn on will face error during Windows 10 installation and also freezing issue while booting to desktop.

In other attempts, to disable intel cstate but have speedstep enabled, I can use my computer on most of the time but random freezing still occur from time to time.

The only stable no freeze case is to completely disable both cstate and speedstep which means I have keep my computer at full speed even when I am using internet browser for most of the time.

Does anyone have any successful experience to make nvme and at least speedstep work. I can live without intel c-state.

Hardware Configuration

Test on both Asus Prime H310I-Plus and MSI H310I PRO ITX with latest Bio

Intel CPU 8600

Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 500GB (On latest firmware and can be detected in BIOS)

Corsair LPX 2 x 16GB 3200mhz

Software

Windows 10 Pro on latest service pack

Intel onboard gfx driver version 26.20.100.7262

Intel chipset driver version 17.7.0.1006

Samsung nvme driver version 3.2.0.1910

Setup with bare minimum hardware configuration.

Graphic card not connected

No other SATA drive connected

USB connectivity with only keyboard, mouse and 1 external dvd drive

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

Please run the following tool and attach the report generated. 

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". \
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Questions:

• Are you doing a clean installation of the Operating system from scratch or are you using a clone image?
  • How are the C-states being modified?
  • Have you tried to load BIOS default settings after the Windows* installation?
  • If you use SATA instead of NVMe does the same issue still happen?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

I have attached the output from running Intel SSU

I have done too many times of format nvme with fresh install of windows 10. C-states is set to automatic, speedstep is set to automatic in bios.

With C-state set as automatic, I can never finish with windows 10 installation. Disable c-state but with speedstep enabled, sometime I can still install finish windows 10.

Tried with using bios default, did not work too. SATA works fine, problem start only with nvme as boot drive.

With c-state and speedstep disabled, there is no freezing occur at all (across many weeks).

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your reply.

I was checking the reports and I can see that there is a BIOS update pending on your system, your system is currently running 7B80v16 = 1.60, it would be good to try the latest version available for this motherboard 7B80v17 and test the results. (Recommended to contact the system manufacturer to get the appropriate steps to update the BIOS).

Could you please run the following tool to test the processor:

• Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool
  • Once the test has fully completed click on “File”.
  • Click on “View Results File” then save the text file.
  • Attach the result to the thread.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

I did also test on Asus motherboard, I get exact the same outcome. Should Ienable c-state/ speedstep to run the processor test? Currently, I have both disabled.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

Yes, please enable and use all the features in default settings to run Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

I have the test result with before and after flashing to the latest bios.

I have to keep force power off and on the system with speedstep and c-state enabled. The freeze occurred most of the time right after windows boot into desktop.

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

attached with another test result.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

By stressing the processor with the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool the final results are fine in both cases, it shows that the processor is working fine since all the tests are passed.

As a matter of fact, the processor works fine with the SATA and this issue only happens with the Nvme so we would like to confirm the following:

• Does the system freeze when you boot in safe mode?
  • Test by running Nvme stress test to rule out any issue with the Nvme
  • When you contacted the motherboard manufacturer what did they say the problem was?
  • Verify with the motherboard manufacturer that if they have ruled out a BIOS/UEFI issue. Is it install in the right port (Nvme)
  • Is it configured as UEFI boot? or legacy?
  • If available you might try to test a different and compatible processor.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

Does the system freeze when you boot in safe mode?

Ans: The speedstep does not seems to kick in during safe mode.

Test by running Nvme stress test to rule out any issue with the Nvme

Ans: The nvme drive is working properly. Earlier in my thread, I did mentioned that I had contacted Samsung support and also manage to get a good will 1 to 1 replacement. Same outcome.

When you contacted the motherboard manufacturer what did they say the problem was?

Ans: I was using ASUS motherboard and switch to MSI motherboard. Both give me the same problem, contacted both manufacturer support and they only ask me to do some basic troubleshooting Lastly they told me to go get 1 to 1 replacement board and could not help me further.

Verify with the motherboard manufacturer that if they have ruled out a BIOS/UEFI issue. Is it install in the right port (Nvme)

Ans: There is only 1 nvme port for either asus or msi board. Asus motherboard did try to provide me with a firmware, it did not help if anything. In fact I had found some bug in their bios which is not related to my problem.

Is it configured as UEFI boot? or legacy?

Ans: CSM / UEFI, still the same outcome.

if available you might try to test a different and compatible processor.

Ans: Already spend on replacing the motherboard, power supply and rams. Dont have any spare processor with me.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello Patrick,

The processor seems to work fine since the issue seems to not happen on safe mode and when using SATA SDD, we think that this could be related to the BIOS of the motherboards, however, you can contact your local support to look for warranty options for your processor.

Contact Support make sure to select your local region. (You can use this thread as reference).

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
Patrick
Beginner

Hi Adrian,

Yeah, in safe mode those feature were not found to be enabled by windows.

I will explorer further myself, thank you.

0 Kudos