Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14397 Discussions

Intel® virtualization technology is not enabled for Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700

ArtemyV
Beginner

I have  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz which according to documentation https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199316/intel-core-i7-10700-processor-16m-cache-up-to-4-80-ghz.html shoudl support the Intel® virtualization technology and Intel® vt-x with extended page tables .

But Intel® Processor Identification Utility shows following results

Intel® Processor Identification Utility
Version : 6.5.115.0105
TimeStamp : 2021/03/03 11:24:11
Operating System : Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: 1
Active cores per processor: 8
Disabled cores per processor: 0
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz
Type : 0
Family : 6
Model : A5
Stepping : 5
Revision: CA
Maximum CPUID Level: 22
L1 Instruction Cache: 8 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 8 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 8 x 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Packaging: LGA1200
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: Yes
MMX(TM): Yes
Intel® SSE: Yes
Intel® SSE2: Yes
Intel® SSE3: Yes
Intel® SSE4: Yes
Intel® AES-NI: Yes
Intel® AVX: Yes
Enhanced Halt State: Yes
Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes
Intel® virtualization technology: No
Intel® vt-x with extended page tables: No

In the bios the virtualization is enabled and in Windows 10 "Hyper-V" is installed.

Are there some models that do not support virtualization or is this some settings/motherboard compatibility problem?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you please provide the following report and information to continue with your support.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

- Can you please provide a screenshot of your task manager’s complete main tab?

Notes:

• There is an example of the screenshot we need attached to this post.
  • You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

Requested information - attached.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

With hyper-v enabled, those utilities will incorrectly state that you do not have virtualization enabled.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

I disabled hyper-v in windows features and after restart the result is the same. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I know.  Disabling it afterwards does not help, nor do any of the command line suggestions.  I have tried all of this before.

Whatever the case, it is a Windows problem.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

Please allow us to investigate this further on our end and we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

Based on our research, we would like to let you know the following and request some extra information from your end.

• In regard to your processor, you can be certain that it does support virtualization as per the specifications on our website; therefore, you are safe on that matter.

• When it comes to the Intel® Processor Identification Utility results, and based on the report you provided it might be possible that Intel® Virtualization is enabled but it's been used by some other software on the machine, we noticed that you have Citrix installed and that program is a hypervisor (virtualization) software; consequently, this might be causing the tool to show that result.

• We would like to know if your only concern is in regard to the Intel® Processor Identification Utility results or are you having issues running using any virtualization app?

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

- I'm using Citrix to access the work network (remoting) and not as virtualization manager

- I used the Intel Utility to verify the Kaspersky Cloud Security warning that hardware virtualization is not available while they recommend enabling hardware virtualization for additional protection.

So my main concern is that Kaspersky fails to detect the hardware virtualization settings same way as  Intel® Processor Identification Utility

ArtemyV_0-1614953567429.png

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

In this case, we would like to recommend that, since virtualization is a technology that requires you to have the overall environment of the computer up to date,  please update your BIOS to the latest version available, which is version F20b according to your motherboard manufacturer and let us know if the error persists by running the Intel® Processor Identification Utility after the update is complete.

Regards,

Victor G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

I have update the bios version but see no change.

IPIU output attached.

And updated SSU result.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

We appreciate the information provided, and we will use it to investigate this issue further on our end, please wait for our response we will update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

Based on our research and the information that you have provided we have come to the following recommendations:

If for some reason your computer is enabling Hyper V and then you are trying to use VMware too, we have seen cases in the past where they both cannot be used at the same time because they conflict for resources.

Also, if you are creating a VM using a VMWare hypervisor or use any software that requires VM and it’s showing VT-x greyed out you can check some of VMWare's suggestions here.

The fact that Intel's IPIU utility shows the tech greyed out suggests that there is a BIOS setting missing to properly enable it; consequently, you should check with your motherboard manufacturer for any platform restriction, per example: BIOS only enables VT-x for certain SKUs or Intel Virtualization is enabled but it is used by some other software on the machine.

There are some scenarios where this issue was solved after resetting windows. It seems like some other application was consuming the resources in those cases.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

1. I do not have VMWare installed

2. Bios setting has VT-d enabled - see attached screen

Is it possible to find out which application is consuming the resource?

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

We understand that the option is enabled in BIOS; however, there might be limitations or other settings that need to be enabled or configured specifically so the processor can use virtualization; nonetheless, that needs to be discussed with the manufacturer of the board.

To answer your question, when it comes to finding which one is the app consuming the resources it is kind of hard to guess; nevertheless, as we discussed in previous messages the only one that caught our attention was Citrix and we know that you don’t use it as a virtualization manager but only to access your work network; however, that might still count as virtualization for the system. What you can try in order to see if that’s the case will be to disable it or uninstall it if possible, or as we mentioned in the previous message some of these issues have been solved after resetting Windows, but you can take that as a last resource, before even trying it I would recommend getting in touch with your motherboard manufacturer first.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
ArtemyV
Beginner

I tried to disable Hyper-V hypervisor as suggested in  Disable Hyper-V to run virtualization software - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs by Alam__Shariful and I have uninstalled the Citrix software.

Still See the same status in IPIU and also msinfo32 shows "A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed."

So probably the only way to get back this functionality is to reset the windows that I do not plan to do in the near future.

If I get to this step I will report the results. Right now I think the ticket could be closed. Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Alam__Shariful
New Contributor I

Good morning,

Maybe you have found a solution already but in case you didn't,  as you mentioned  in  your Windows 10 "Hyper-V" is installed check out the following article from Microsoft documentation Virtualization applications don't work together with Hyper-V, Device Guard, and Credential Guard  

I'm not sure if an enabled Hyper-V is a reason behind it but in case it is, you can try to disable it. 

~ Shariful

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello ArtemyV,

We will proceed to close this thread as per your request; however, if you need any additional information; you are more than welcome to submit a new question just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos