Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Intel xtu factory default

KRada
Novice

Hello. I have the legend Y520 for 3 months. I used Intel XTU from 1 week to lower processor voltage. within 2 days I noticed that the default profile is not 0V. Shows -0.135V. What is this mess? ??? Unfortunately, the program does not provide editing for this account, and this -0.135V setting is stored in the BIOS. The processor voltage setting is not visible in the BIOS of the laptop. I see in the forum many complaints about the same problem, but an adequate solution NOT. Please someone who has decided to share this issue. Maybe it's time for Intel developers to do something with this program, not to make consumers look for help from laptop manufacturers. I'm open for any suggestions just to reset the settings of this program by default.

23 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello kalufa,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue that you have been experiencing with our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU).

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

I took out BIOS battery for 1 hour. After I turned on the laptop again, Bios was clean. I turned on Intel XTU and what I noticed is that the laptop starts with default CPU voltage settings.

but after clicking on the default account ... see what it shows

However, the CPU voltage is still 0.000V (as is the default) until I confirm using the default profile. What is seen in the second picture is not a visual scam (as someone had guessed in another topic). Because when I confirm the use of the default profile in INTEL XTU, the processor voltage drop is also displayed in HWMonitor. how can i fix this ??? ... how this profile has assigned these settings after it can not be edited (neither its name nor its values) the program itself does not allow it.If I make settings for lowering the CPU voltage, then how do I reset the default settings after the profile that needs to do this is corrupted(except by removing the battery of BIOS) Here's the info you requested

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kalufa,

Thank you for your patience and the information attached to the thread, it was extremely helpful in order to provide you with assistance on this matter.

I was taking a look at the SSU report of the OEM unit that you own, and I noticed that your machine has an Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor. I regret to inform you that the issue that you have been experiencing and the lack of editing options for your processor in our Intel® XTU tool is caused by the actual CPU that you own.

Our Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ tray Processor is not an unlocked version, meaning that modifying the values such as CPU voltage settings (over/under-clocking) will not be possible without compromising the integrity of the CPU and it is actually not supported by our XTU tool or online support.

Here you will find a list of unlocked processors that actually are supported in terms of over-clocking and modifying different specifications through our tool:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

For future reference, as you can see on the link above all of our unlocked processors have the termination "k" or "x" at the end of the model number.

In this case, your unit has the letters "HQ "that are utilized to identify mobile processors that are limited (in terms of warranty, customization and upgrades) by the manufacturer of the OEM equipment, in this case Lenovo*, and all changes made on the CPU that modify the values of the unit need to be handled by the manufacturer of the whole equipment.

I strongly recommend you to get in touch with them so they can provide you with support for your equipment.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
Swapnild
Novice

I undervolted my asus rog strix g531gt-bq024t using intel xtu to -140mV and it worked perfect. but i don't know how after applying default settings it only set core offset to 0.00mV but it also changed other values like turbo boost power max etc. NOW it's behaving insane and gpu is working like overclocked crossing its boost clock . I have no idea what should i do now . After applying default profile by intel xtu cpu clockspeed is set at 4000mhz and the gpu is overclocked at 1935mhz and its heating too much and laptop makes so much noise. Please help
Laptop Specs-
I5 9300h 2.40ghz turbo boost 4.10ghz
Ram 8×1gb ddr4 2666mhz
256 m.2 nvme ssd + 1tb hdd
Nvidia gtx 1650 GDDR5 4gb
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

XTU does not support your processor.  Only X and K processors are supported.

ANd, you should not be under-volting.

https://securityboulevard.com/2019/12/plundervolt-a-new-intel-processor-undervolting-vulnerability/

If I were you, I would uninstall XTU, and reset your bios to defaults, before you cause any damage.

Contact the laptop manufacturer regarding their laptop and configuration settings.

Doc

Swapnild
Novice
Thank you for the reply

I already undervolted it to -140mV and after that applied default values by intel xtu but nothing happened . If i uninstall it and reset bios to default can it really solve my problem?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

But.... XTU does not support your processor.  Any settings or readings may be unreliable.

"If i uninstall it and reset bios to default can it really solve my problem? "  Who knows - all I can tell you is that your processor is not supported.

Contact the device manufacturer.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Remember that Intel's only way to close the plundervolt vulnerability is by disabling support for undervolting at the microcode level. As the microcode is rolled out and gets installed via BIOS and O/S updates, you system will go from supporting undervolting to not supporting undervolting.

...S

Swapnild
Novice
So what should i do now .I really have no idea what XTU does whether it deletes bios from manufacturer and saves its own or it only changes value which can be set back to default. Is it risky to uninstall XTU and setting bios to default, My laptop bios is UEFI type and there is no option like undervolt or overclock. Is there any way that I can solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Swapnild
Novice
Does XTU also alter default bios from manufacturer ? And is it possible to reset them back to manufacturer defaults if XTU make changes after overclock and how?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, XTU shouldn't affect the BIOS at all. It applies its settings at runtime. You can always go into BIOS Setup and reset it to defaults to make sure you are in a known state.

...S

0 Kudos
Swapnild
Novice
I uninstalled XTU and set bios to defaults then i saw there is intel XTU folder c:<program data<intel<intel xtu which is running in background by another program is that causing a problem and will resetting the laptop completely solve this problem?
0 Kudos
Swapnild
Novice
Please help, I completely uninstalled XTU from my laptop and load bios to defaults but nothing changed ,my cpu and gpu still is overclocked , I'm really worried now whether I overwrite the manufacturer default profile of bios. How can i fix this?
DOES factory resetting windows solve this?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said, XTU does not touch the BIOS. Nothing is done to or stored in the BIOS. Everything is done during Windows startup. It sounds to me like the XTU service, which runs during Windows startup and applies your settings, was not installed with everything else and is still running. I would check the Startup tab in Task Manager and disable any entries related to XTU and then reboot to check if this fixes it.

Now, the other thing to mention is that Intel released a microcode update that disables support for undervolting the processor. If, through a BIOS or Windows update, you received this new microcode, then any undervolting that you were doing will be gone. People are upset with Intel for doing this, but they had no choice; it was the only way to mitigate the Plundervolt vulnerability.

...S

0 Kudos
Swapnild
Novice
I uninstalled XTU and reset bios to defaults but nothing changed. I'm still getting problem
0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

I'm beginning to think that there is no such thing as an INTEL support team. I have provided the information you have requested for 3 days and no one has paid attention yet. I know that many people with problems are turning to you every day and you are certainly trying to answer everyone, but at the moment we are talking about your software that you provide as user-friendly software. I appeal to you in the hope that I will get advice and possible decision by a competent team, but I do not get a response for days. And when an angry user sends you a reprimanding letter, you send him a poll that he will fill out and recommend you to all your friends.. Do not let users wait. If you can not answer them with a solution to their problems, just tell them you are not finding a solution at the moment ...

0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

You contradict your entire post. The first link you mentioned to me has no list of supported processors, but there is a list of processors comparison, which are two different things. https://downloadmirror.intel.com/24075/eng/XTU-6_4-MR-ReleaseNotes.pdf Secondly ... my claims are not that I can not modify CPU voltage values, but that the default profile of the program that can not be edited has assigned voltage values other than the default values (which I think is a problem with INTEL XTU) and not my processor. And thirdly ... in the notes to the program's edition, he writes quite different things. It does not mention maintenance of processors, but maintenance platforms. Is it strange that my platform is on the list of maintainers. In the end, I did not write these notes to the publication, and most likely, someone from the INTEL team. Now ... just explain to me how the default profile in INTEL XTU, whose only function is to return the factory values of the whole program, has got values other than 0.000 (The profile can not be edited ... Neither its name nor its values)And I did not write it, which means I did not set default account values

Understand me correctly ... After removing the battery of bios I can restore CPU voltage settings to the factory (this is not a problem). The problem is in the program itself "INTEL XTU" and more precisely in its default profile. Because after only a few days of work, this account is no longer a default account . And finally ... you refer me again to the laptop manufacturer. After all, the processor is made by your company, and the locked version is not LENOVO's work- That is what they say from LENOVO's support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kalufa,

Thank you for your patience and politeness.

My apologies if the perception of the answer given was a little contradictory, maybe I was not clear enough; however I am here to serve so it will be more than a pleasure to assist you with the requested information.

The list shared before on the link above refers to the processors that are currently supported through our Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and our Tuning Protection plan.

The list of platforms on the release notes of the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), clearly shows your platform (Kaby Lake) and it refers to the unlock versions of this platform such as our Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor which is a Boxed CPU.

In your case, you own an Intel® Core™ i7-7700hq CPU, which is commonly known as a tray processor. Its support, warranty and customization are sold to the OEM companies, LENOVO* in this case.

OEM companies customize drivers, applications and set limits on the processors values, in order to work as an embedded piece of hardware on their systems.

I understand you inquiry regarding the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and that is not working on the way that you expect, however this app is not designed to interact with your processor in any sort of way.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards.

Diego S.

KRada
Novice

And as proof of my words I'll upload pictures again. See ... after resetting BIOS by removing the batteryDo you see anywhere other than 0.000 values and you will not see.But look at what values the default profile shows without being activated The default profile has values that are currently inactive ... look at HWMONITOR.Here's another photo, so you do not think I've invalidated HWMonitor's testimony. Here I want you to explain. How this account itself sets such values after it can not be edited in any way.how many more diagnostic programs I need to put on my laptop to see the truth

0 Kudos
KRada
Novice

I have the unpleasant feeling that you constantly avoided my question. Right from the very beginning of our "discussion" i am clear that your software does not support my processor.... And you repeat it all the time. In fact, my question has always been - Why and how the INTEL XTU default profile creates its own processor voltage values. I will repeat, but I want to remind you that this is a profile that should return the system to its original state and not set values other than the default values. and please do not tell me that your software does not support my processor, and that's why the default profile is broken. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I turned back the default CPU settings by resetting the BIOS (I just removed the battery for a while and that was enough) So I do not need INTEL XTU to do what I did by resetting BIOS. I guess I'm already sick of you, but please take a look at all the posts above, look carefully at all the photos I've posted and make sure I'm right. That is .... I ask you a question and you send me the hell because you do not understand how to justify the problem of your software. At present, my CPU has a default voltage, which I have proven with pictures of two programs, your program also proves it, although it does not support my processor. (((((((But its default profile is corrupted or at least shows some odd values- That's what my question is about)))))))) Maybe you will not answer me ... I will understand you completely.

0 Kudos