Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

IntelTBTCoin.log

MSted2
New Contributor I

Apologies, I could not find a suitable topic to post this under, so please bear with me.

Please suggest a better location if you can help.

Windows 10 2004, running Windows 10 Pro for Workstation with Zeon processors and it includes a Thunderbolt 3 interface card.

I have a folder on the startup drive under Intel that has one file in it, IntelTBTCoin.log

It seems to be either a scam and I assume its running Bitcoin software or its an unfortunate name for an Intel program.

I cannot find any mention of this filename on the Internet so hoping someone can help here.

Thanks in advance for any reasonable help.

Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Really? When I google this file name, I get multiple hits (not including the entry for your post).

...S

0 Kudos
MSted2
New Contributor I

Hi

Thanks for answering, when I look my post is the first one I see.

There is only oblique mentions, mostly to do with labeling not Intel.

As its in a Folder clled Intel, and I have a thunderbird 3 card installed I assumed it was for that but as I am having problems with an M2 drive was looking all around the pc.

I'd appreciate any links you can provide because Chrome and Vivaldi do not come up with anything meaningful

Mike

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I got nothing, though I gotta mention that the last hit is to a threat report - which simply mentions this file in passing as something deleted during the package's uninstall. Amazing (and concerning!) that a TBT installalation package got a threat score of 87/100.

Perhaps Intel Customer Support can query the development team regarding this file...

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSted2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if you still need further assistance in reference to the IntelTBTCoin.log file?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MSted2
New Contributor I

Hello,

Yes please, I have not been able to work out what this file is for or what program created it.

It's either Intel or HP as I believe it to be related to the HP Thunderbolt card that is installed, 

However the name is misleading and Calle be related to bit coin mining, hence my interest here.

If you can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi MSted2, Thank you very much for your response.

Sure, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello MSted2, I just received an update on this matter.

In reference to your inquiry, just to let you know, the TBTCoin is a crypto that creates different projects of aggregation, exchange data, and many more.

So, actually, for this specific scenario, the next thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the computer since Intel® does not support M.2 and this issue could be associated with the thunderbolt driver. 

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
nathandonnelly
Beginner

Any chance we can get an update on this?

I have a custom built machine so there is no one to contact. Also, I found a log file with the same name located in C:\Intel\Logs. Also in that Intel directory is \Thunderbolt\setup.msi. I believe this to be the setup installer for the Thunderbolt software, but I have not clicked-to-run it.

The log file reads:

>>> 8/10/2020 17:58:54:284
TBT Coinstaller (17.4.77.13) I
MSI already installed: 1CAE7E2B-41ED-46BF-AA78-4658AE8C2130
*Exiting*

Are we sure this is malicious and even has something to do with TBT Coin? I've run a couple of Windows Defender scans and am coming up clean. Also, I believe TBTCoin could refer to Thunderbolt Co-Installer. The date listed in the log file, 2020-08-10, looks like it was the day that I installed the Thunderbolt card. I'm not sure of the exact date, but this looks right.

The Thunderbolt card is a Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge PCIe Card, and I'm running an 8700K on a Z390-A Prime board.

Googling both the title of the log file and the GUID located in the log file are dead ends. Pretty sure it's not malicious though, but if it is I'd obviously like to know.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan.

0 Kudos
MSted2
New Contributor I

Hello Nathan

I received a reply from HP.

They have stated it's not a problem, it's just an unfortunate error in programming.

It should read"Thunderbolt co-installer" program as you say.

I have run many different virus/Trojan check programs online etc and cannot find any problems.

So carry on with no worries.

For the record, I'm running an HP Z8 G4 with the HP Thunderbolt card installed, using it for TB USB-C only, not the two High Resolution Video ports.

Regards, Mike

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@nathandonnelly,

The fact that you built your system yourself does not mean that there aren't vendors to contact. There's Asus support for your motherboard and, most especially, Gigabyte support for the TBT card.

I also see MSI mentioned. Did you bring your drive forward from another system? If so, that's a very bad practice.

...S

0 Kudos
MSted2
New Contributor I

n_scott_pearson

The problem has been solved. It is a valid file as noted above.

Re the MSI, it is not relevant to this discussion. Indeed, bringing a drive from one computer to another is not really bad practice, only if it is the system drive.

Even then, Windows 10 is now so good that it knows how to sideline older/not required drivers and in most cases find and load newly required ones it knows about. Retaining pre-existing programs for most users is really important, especially if all they need is re-licencing

Yes it is lazy but not a security issue and in some ways gives the wrong advice.

0 Kudos
nathandonnelly
Beginner

My C:\ drive was not brought from a previous system. It was a brand new Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I do have some other drives that go in and out of the computer that were second hand system drives that are now solely used for storage, but they were formatted before installing them into this machine.

I believe the MSI the log is referring to the thunderbolt setup.msi file.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@MSted2,

This is NEVER the wrong advice. It is the safe route - and of course I meant only for the System drive. Feel free to trust Windows 10 to do the right thing if you wish to be lazy. I certainly won't trust it, not with MS' track record. I think doing so is a fool's errand. As Andy Grove said, "Only the paranoid survive."

Not interested in any response.

...S

0 Kudos
MSted2
New Contributor I

Hi,

Whilst you may not be interested in a response, others reading this thread may be.

When you post as a high profile guru with many kudos you need to be absolutely sure to be on target with your comments so as not to confuse or give wrong information.

MSI is either a motherboard manufacturer or a Microsoft installer file, which it is in this case.

The usage of a disk from one computer and moving it to another is NOT within the context of this thread or any of the responses here.

Both myself and the other party on here with the same problem are obviously seasoned computer users as befits our comments and the fact we are using Thunderbolt interfaces.

We also both checked our systems for virus/trogans, extensively in my case so there was never a problem even if Nathan(?)_had re-used a drive.

HP stated the facts as on my comments earlier. Right on target, no ambiguity.

I also do not need any reaction, unless it's an apology.

0 Kudos