Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Is 100°C an unsafe temperature for the intel i9 9980XE?

APete13
Beginner

Most of the time the temperature is around 45-60°C, but whenever I do something that takes more processing power such as rendering a video, the temperature will get up to around 85-100°C, I think one time I saw it go a little over 100°C. I read somewhere that the highest temperature it should get to is 88°C. So is it unsafe that mine is getting hotter than that, or will it be fine? I've only had it for about 2 weeks, and I'm using it with a corsair h115i.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it is unsafe. You need to re-evaluate your cooling system and provide proper ventilation, and make sure you have applied the thermal paste correctly.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189126/intel-core-i9-9980xe-extreme-edition-processor-24-75m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

Doc

0 Kudos
APete13
Beginner

It’s pretty well ventilated, there’s 6 fans installed for ventilation. I don’t know why the cpu cooler wouldn’t be cooling it enough, everything appears to be installed correctly and I applied the thermal paste exactly how it should be. Do you think there could be a problem with the processor itself?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, but you never know. What operating system and version.

Doc

0 Kudos
APete13
Beginner

Windows 10, updated latest version as I know. Many suggestions on what I should do? I was thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling the cooler to see if that helps.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Many of these cooling solutions rely on the motherboard's fan speed control capability to determine the pump/fan speed. You may also need to look at the configuration of this fan speed control subsystem to ensure it is properly advancing the duty cycle of the pump/fan at appropriate temperatures. This is typically done in the BIOS configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What version of W10? 1903? 1809? 1803? Other?

It would not hurt to check the cooler.

Doc

0 Kudos