Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?

ECuev
Beginner

Hello Community,

Is Intel VT-x/EPT not supported by Q9550?

I am asking because a warning of VMware Workstation "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform" due to that I can't perform esxi host and GNS3 VM. My PC is a Dell Optiplex 780 in the Bio:

Enable Intel(R) Virtualization Technology is: CheckedEnable Intel(R) VT for Direct I/O is: CheckedEnable Intel(R) Trusted Execution Technology is: UncheckedEnable CPU XD Support is: Checked

See attached pictures for more info

The Bio is updated to the latest version

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, both VT-x and VT-d are supported by the (vPro-enabled) Q9550 processor. In order for these features to be used, this processor must be combined with a vPro-enabled chipset. I see that the Dell Optiplex 870 indeed has a vPro-enabled chipset, namely Q45, so these features should be supported.

EPT (Extended Page Tables) is an Intel second-generation x86 virtualization technology for the memory management unit (MMU). EPT support is found in Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs (amongst others). Unfortunately, the Q9550, which is a Core 2 Quad processor, supports only first-generation x86 virtualization technology.

Bottom line, VMware Workstation is not going to work on this processor as EPT support is a requirement. I have to say, why you would want to attempt to run VMware on this ancient, 9-year-old machine is beyond me. It can only support 4GB of memory, which is (IMHO) far too little to reasonably support VM operation.

Sorry,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, both VT-x and VT-d are supported by the (vPro-enabled) Q9550 processor. In order for these features to be used, this processor must be combined with a vPro-enabled chipset. I see that the Dell Optiplex 870 indeed has a vPro-enabled chipset, namely Q45, so these features should be supported.

EPT (Extended Page Tables) is an Intel second-generation x86 virtualization technology for the memory management unit (MMU). EPT support is found in Intel's Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs (amongst others). Unfortunately, the Q9550, which is a Core 2 Quad processor, supports only first-generation x86 virtualization technology.

Bottom line, VMware Workstation is not going to work on this processor as EPT support is a requirement. I have to say, why you would want to attempt to run VMware on this ancient, 9-year-old machine is beyond me. It can only support 4GB of memory, which is (IMHO) far too little to reasonably support VM operation.

Sorry,

...S

ECuev
Beginner

Scott, thank you so much for this helpful explanation, I haven't changed the PC because I didn't understand the problem.

You're rock buddy!

0 Kudos