Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Is TSC synchronized across sockets in current intel CPU?

BinYan
Beginner

Hi,

from "Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual", we know that in the latest CPU,  TSC(timestamp counter) is constant and invariant. It means that TSC in each core will tick at a constant rate. If each core receives the RESET signal at the same time, then TSC is synchronized.

However, it is not clear from the manual whether each core is able to receive the RESET signal at the same time, especially in a multi-socket (like 4, or even environment.

From the description of "Section 17.17.3 Time-Stamp Counter Adjustment" in the manual, it seems to guarantee that TSC is synchronized across sockets as long as TSC_ADJUST is the same across each core.

However, I also find research papers [1] mentioning that TSC is not guaranteed to be synchronized because "processors do not receive the RESET signal at the same time" (from Introduction of [1]).

So, is TSC guaranteed to be synchronized? How do TSC synchronize across sockets? Can TSC reflect real time (like, building transactions on TSC) ?

[1] A Scalable Ordering Primitive for Multicore Machines Sanidhya. Eurosys'18.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello BinYan, 

I understand your inquiry, 

I will proceed to check this question internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello BinYan, 

I would like to let you know that we are checking your inquiry internally, however, I will appreciate it if you can help me with some details:

1. Why are you asking for this information? Can you provide more details?

2. Are you developing something> If so, what is it?

This will help us to provide you with accurate information.

Best regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello BinYan, 

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello BinYan, 

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos