Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Is an Core I-7 2600 quad core faster than an I-5 2400 quad core

FElme1
Beginner

​I still have a HP TouchSmart 520 1050 pc and was wondering if I purchased an Intel Core i7-2600S Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 2.8GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 65W BX80623I72600S Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000, will I see that much of a difference from the stocked Core i5-2400s (Sandy Bridge) quad core 2.5 GHz (up to 3.3 GHz turbo) LGA 1155 65W ?

Can I use this processor Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I72600 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ?

When my PC runs a long while I hear the fan running a lot so I can only assume the old processor (I-5 2400, since 2011) isn't holding up and overheating because even after removing the old thermal paste and reapplying I get the same result. Am I  correct, is the old processor failing from age and use ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The i7-2600s is a 4 Core, 8 Thread processor (i.e. two execution threads per Core). The i5-2400s is a 4 Core, 4 Thread processor (i.e. only one execution thread per Core). The 2600s can outperform the 2400s when the load is properly shared across the execution threads. When the two execution threads on a Core are both active, the Core is able to accomplish more than a Core with a single execution thread. For more information on Hyperthreading, consult this introduction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading.

Now, whether you can use the 2600s in your laptop is a question that we cannot answer. You need to talk to your laptop manufacturer to find out whether the laptop can handle and has BIOS support for this processor.

As a PC ages, the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) - the heatsink paste that is used to conduct heat from the processor's heat spreader into the available heatsink or heat pipes - will dry out. The more that the TIM dries out, the lower its thermal conductivity get, which means the slower that heat can be conducted. Now, by increasing the fan speed and moving more air over the heatsink or heat pipes, the greater the capacity for the heatsink or heat pipes to accept heat. Thus, there is a natural, over-time compensation for the TIM drying out. However, you eventually reach a point where this (a) becomes acoustically annoying because the fan is spinning faster and (b) situations will exist where the rate of heat generation in the processor is too high for the TIM to handle in real time. So, what's the solution? The solution is to take the laptop apart and replace the TIM. This is not a task for the faint of heart. It is complicated and whatever you take off has to be put back in the proper opposite order. Before deciding to take this on yourself, there are videos of folks doing this on YouTube that you can look at and see if it goes beyond your skill level. If it is something that you think you can handle, go for it - but remember to take your time and be careful. If it looks like this is not something you want to take on, most repair shops will do this for some nominal fee.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
FElme1
Beginner

Thanks ​for the info. I've replaced the tim 2 prior times before the most recent and running it 24/7 at times may have placed too much of a demand on this processor .Your response tells me Core I-7 is the solution and HP specs supports the upgrade. Additional question. The specs supports I-7 65W, but can a I-7 95W work?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would be willing to bet that the answer is no. It comes down to the design of the power delivery and cooling solutions. It is rare to see anyone overdesign. Power delivery is going to be limited by the capability of the battery to deliver sufficient power. This laptop probably supports 90W overall.

...S

0 Kudos
FElme1
Beginner

Thanks again for the reply, the power ​supply is 150W external, but I going to take your suggestions and stick with the recommended upgrade of 65W.

0 Kudos