Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Is it normal to have 70-80°C spikes while gaming at 60°C average?

JKale2
Beginner

Hello,

I have an i7 9700k (cooled by Dark Rock 4(not Pro), rog strix z390f and rog strix rtx2070 oc. Case is a pure base 600 with 2x 140mm intake front, 2x 140mm exhaust top, 120mm exhaust back (I changed fan curves to performance settings). All fans are pure wing 2 high speed. Thermal compound is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

While gaming at 1440p I usually have an average of 55-65°C depending on the game. But sometimes, for example in path of exile when I am in loading screen the temperature spikes up to 70-75°C on a few cores for just one or two seconds. Not all cores get that hot, for example if one is at 75 the others are a few degrees less. In GTA Online I noticed the highest spikes were up to 82°C. I also play Apex Legends, Fortnite and some other AAA games but I have never noticed spikes as high as in GTA. Time between those spikes is usually at least 5-10 minuites. I am pretty sure the temperature rise happens when I get into loading screen for a new map or something like that. But it is never for more than 2 or 3 seconds until temperature drops down to average again. Loading times are usually a bit more than that.

The temperature reading programm I use is hwinfo. I noticed that when I had AI Suit installed it always showed the temperature a little bit less. Also OCCT (I use for stability testing) shows a few degrees less. CoreTemp shows the same as hwinfo, sometimes 1 or 2 degrees less.

I also have to mention that my CPU is overclocked to 4.9ghz at 1.335vcore. Avx is at 2 and llc 6. Under load my vcore is at 1.34-1.35.

When I use stock settings the temperature behavior is the same, just a few degrees less. Not more than 5. Also my vcore is going up to 1.37 when I use stock settings.

First I thought I did a mistake while mounting the cooler or applying thermal compound but I checked two times now and there was no change. I always used dot method and it was evenly spread across the cpu. Also cooler was remounted completely two times. There wasnt even a noticable difference between the bequiet stock thermal paste and kryonaut.

So my questions are: Is this temperature behavior normal for a cpu? And even if not, is this something I should worry about? What could be the cause?

I would be very greatful for any input, also if anyone wants to look into a log file I will upload a hwinfo log in an hour.

Edit: attached the log

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JKale2
Beginner

But is it normal to have such spikes? I know Tjmax is at 100°C but if I would be at 70-80°C average while gaming some ppl would say thats not good in a long term.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

HelloJ JKale2,

Do you need more assistance with this?

Let me know if the issue persists or you need more assistance, I will be glad to help!

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello JKale2,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
AGate
Beginner

Temperature spikes while playing games are normal and the temperature of 70 deg is normal. No need to worry about it unless you start experiencing some weird behaviors.

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos