Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Is it ok for my i7-9900K cpu to get 110-115C during stress test using liquid CPU cooler?

MMatu10
Beginner

I recently installed a CPU cooler. I thought it would help during gaming that my CPU would remain below 70C. Turns out, I am obtaining temperatures over 100C. I did a stress test and my CPU temp ranged 110-115C. Once it finished, it dropped to about 55C in 10 seconds. It's possible that I may have to re-apply the thermal paste. If that's not the case, then is this acceptable, or ….?

I had to install the fans for my CPU liquid cooler on top of the pc box as there isn't enough space for the sleeved tubing and fans to fit. The sleeved tubing and fans are held in place using the same screws.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, these are not acceptable temperatures. This should not be happening with a LC system. Check for proper mounting of the cooling block on top of processor (and yes, sufficient TIM) and whether the cooling system is responding to increasing temperatures (i.e. its fans are properly connected to the motherboard's processor fan connector(s).

...S

0 Kudos
MMatu10
Beginner

Fans are working.

I am happy to report that I didn't have the cooling system properly placed on the CPU. Just finished a 5 min stress test after re-placing it in and the highest it got to was 65C.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What about the pump? It is also typically plugged into a processor fan header. To save time, what is the part number for this cooling system. A picture of the setup, with side panel removed, would also help.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's a good result.

...S

0 Kudos