Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Is it possible to have a higher frequency in games?

APavl32
Beginner

guys, such a topic. I don’t understand how to do it all, maybe you can help

Here is my laptop 330-15IKB (Type 81DE) (ai5, mx150, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD)

The case will be about the processor - Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 MHz, Cores: 4, logical processors: 8

Turbo Boost operates at 3.4 Hz

The following problem: with all the necessary settings for power supply (min., max. CPU frequency - 100%, + played with passive and active cooling - to no avail), this damned Turbo Boost does not want to work in games. It works in the browser (in the dispatcher and through the CPU-Z it shines 3.38 Hz), as soon as the browser closes and the game opens (tried Dota, Сs and Dishonored 2), the frequency immediately drops to about 1.58. Therefore, you yourself understand, FPS is flying into the abyss.

This is not throttling, measured through AIDA64 there is no throttling. The temperature is not critical + the laptop is only 5 months old.

What kind of misfortune? Maybe there is some additional software to keep the frequency always at maximum in games

And then infuriates unreal

Help pliz

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, the achievable Core frequency becomes lower and lower as the number of busy Cores goes up. The highest Core frequency is only going to be seen when a single Core is busy. If these games are optimized to take advantage of the Cores/threads available, then the number of busy Cores will be higher and the Core frequency achievable is going to be lower. Secondly, high temperature is not the only reason why a system may be throttled. A system may be throttled because there is a limit to the power that is available. When you are in a game and the usage of the Graphics engine is higher, this power limit can be hit and the overall performance of the system throttled down.

In some cases, the BIOS provides a scene where you can configure the Turbo Boost per-active-Cores and Uncore frequency multipliers and you can attempt to tune this (somewhat) to your games. As for power limiting, blame you laptop vendor; they have total control over this and they use this as a way to make up for their crappy (that's the nicest word I can think of use) cooling solutions and battery capability/maintenance.

...S

0 Kudos