Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Is it true that I cannot use a 3200MHz DDR4 DIMM stick if it's 1.35V without stressing the CPU on an Intel i9-9900K? I've asked in three different places and I can't seem to get a clear answer.

AshleyB
Beginner

My ASUS Prime User Guide states, and I quote "According to Intel CPU spec, DIMM voltage below 1.35V is recommended to protect the CPU."

The problem is all DIMM sticks on the QVL for my motherboard are dominated by 1.35V products, with only 3 listed under at 1.2V, none of which are available for purchase at 3200MHz.

One of the reasons I bought this CPU was because I thought it would be superior and therefore more than capable of handling standard multi-tasking hardware. Did I make a mistake paying extra for a higher class CPU when a lesser model would have been more capable of handling greater DIMM voltage?

CPU:  

Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-9900K 3.60GHZ 16MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151

Motherboard:

ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello AshleyB

The Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor is recommended to be used with a RAM of DDR4-2666 MHz (see specifications), in reference to the voltage the 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet refer to DDR4 I/O Voltage of 1.2V (page 19 sections 2.1).

if you want to use the system with speeds and voltages out outside of the processor specifications please take in considerations the following:

Using the RAM with speeds of 3200MHz at 1.35V would damage the Intel® memory HUB controller in the Intel® processor in short or long terms and altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Nevertheless, if you wish to use the intel processor outside of specifications you can use the Intel® Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

It also important taking into consideration that some memory manufacturers advise that using the ram at high speeds might cause instability on the system we would recommend confirming them what are the recommended speeds and with ASUS* (you motherboard manufacturer) they recommend setting up for your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello AshleyB

The Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor is recommended to be used with a RAM of DDR4-2666 MHz (see specifications), in reference to the voltage the 8th and 9th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Families Datasheet refer to DDR4 I/O Voltage of 1.2V (page 19 sections 2.1).

if you want to use the system with speeds and voltages out outside of the processor specifications please take in considerations the following:

Using the RAM with speeds of 3200MHz at 1.35V would damage the Intel® memory HUB controller in the Intel® processor in short or long terms and altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Nevertheless, if you wish to use the intel processor outside of specifications you can use the Intel® Performance Tuning Protection Plan.

It also important taking into consideration that some memory manufacturers advise that using the ram at high speeds might cause instability on the system we would recommend confirming them what are the recommended speeds and with ASUS* (you motherboard manufacturer) they recommend setting up for your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AshleyB
Beginner

This is the clearest and most helpful answer I've gotten. Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it to me!

0 Kudos