Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Is my asus laptop is running smoothly , should I update any further new drivers to windows 10 1803

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

​from 01-02-2018 onwards ,  I never got BSOD issues , no  heating , no hanging , no lagging , all device  drivers  updated  taken from Lenovo , dell , asus , hp , intel and  Nvidia

Can any user  verify my computer configuration and its  for  security vulnerable issues . 

asus does  not provided latest bios ,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since both microcode and ME F/W updates are typically distributed via BIOS update, you need your board/system vendor to do their part. We can't do anything about the poor support that you seem to be getting from them. Perhaps folks should think about this as you make your next purchasing decision. Money talks.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are going to see multiple philosophies on this question. Many have the philosophy that you should only update if there is a specific issue that needs address. I disagree with this philosophy. Since BIOS updates also contain compatibility fixes, performance updates, processor microcode, ME firmware updates, etc., I believe they should be checked for regularly and installed when available. In fact, my general philosophy is that if there are newer BIOS and/or newer drivers available, they should always be installed. Does this result is issues. From time to time, yes, I have seen new problems being introduced (or reintroduced), but these are the exception and not the rule.

...S

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

​Thanks  for  your  response sir .  I  am waiting  newer BIOS which incudes microcodes   which should   fixes  the following vulnerability,.

1.Q3 2018 Speculative Execution:

which is  described in below intel website

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00161.html

2.Firmware Authentication Bypass:

which is described in below intel website

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00152.html

I knew Intel has already  released microcodes to  OEM manufacturer , but  Asus does not taking care of customers . I already  informed  to asus  customer care and  I sent emails also , but still no response

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Since both microcode and ME F/W updates are typically distributed via BIOS update, you need your board/system vendor to do their part. We can't do anything about the poor support that you seem to be getting from them. Perhaps folks should think about this as you make your next purchasing decision. Money talks.

RAJU2529
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply , But i am not going to buy new products upto 2025

0 Kudos