Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Is my processor dying soon?

OLek0
Beginner

Hi everyone, I'm currently using an i5-6500.

I had no problems running games like GTA V and even Ghost Recon Wildlands in the past. However about half a year ago I started having problems running both games smoothly, especially for Ghost Recon. The game would lag and hang at times and the textures of the games are unable to load and the CPU has overheating problems. I tried reapplying thermal paste but it is still the same. I tried lowering the settings to the lowest but it is still the same as well.

Anyone knows if this is a CPU problem and if my CPU is dying soon?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

OLek0, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Was it working fine before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

When did the issue start?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Which tool or application are you using the measure the temperature?

What is the temperature value the Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Processor is reaching?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
OLek0
Beginner

Hi Albert,

I'm using a PC and the motherboard is Asus Z-170K.

It was working fine before, the issue only started about 9 months ago.

I am currently using windows 10 and only had software updates for the OS and nothing more.

I used CAM by NZXT to measure the temperature and the temperature reaches to slightly above 100 degrees celcius during gaming.

Can I check if there is anywhere in Singapore where I can drop off my CPU for you guys to check if there is a need to? And also what will be the cost to run the tests.

Best Regards,

OLekO

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi OLek0, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS's web site and the latest Graphics driver they have is Version 21.20.16.4542, please install that driver and test the games:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-K/HelpDesk_Download/

Regarding the temperature, you are using a 3rd party application, we actually recommend to use the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it means the Intel® Procesor is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

In reference to the question, if there is a place in Singapore for Intel® to check if the Intel® Processor is defective, that option is not available, but you can always visit a local computer repair store and they should be able to test it in there. 

Additionally, if you build the computer, you can always test it with a basic computer configuration, using just the power supply, processor, board, monitor, one memory stick at the time on each slot, keyboard and mouse without any other components connected to the computer and test the games that way.

If you have the option, of course, you can always try to swap parts, either test your Intel® Processor on a different board or test your board with a different Intel® Processor to confirm if the behavior with the games is the same. If you are going to contact a local repair store you can also check if they can do that for you, normally they will have that option available to confirm if the problem is the Intel® Processor and a replacement will be needed or if the issue is related to any other component in the PC.

You can also get in contact directly with ASUS to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version 3805:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-K/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
OLek0
Beginner

Hi Albert,

Thanks for providing me with so much help. I really appreciate it. I will follow the things that you have mentioned and hope the problem can be solved. Once again thanks for your assistance and guidance.

Best Regards,

OLekO

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi OLek0, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, no problem at all, go ahead and try those steps and once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello OLek0, I just wanted to check if you were able to try the troubleshooting steps provided previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
OLek0
Beginner

Hi Albert, I have tried but it seems like I am still having some problems. I will be dropping my PC off at a local shop for someone to check it for me soon. Thanks for all of your help. Really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

OLekO

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi OLek0, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Since the problem still persists, that will be the next option for this specific scenario, to take the computer to a local repair shop for a more detailed physical inspection. The Intel® Processor has 3 years of warranty.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos