Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Is the LGA2011-V4 processor replaceable for the LGA2011-3 processor on a MSI X99A workstation motherboard? George Hart

GHart4
Beginner

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If the MSI X99A bios supports it. You must ask MSI what processors are compatible with their BIOS.

Doc

0 Kudos
GHart4
Beginner
Thanks Al:  trouble is I have been trying to get MSI to answer this one for a couple of days.  I am building a replicate of my main workstation, which I built a couple of years ago when the  X99A workstation came out and which used the  Intel Core i7 processor extreme addition that went into the LGA2011-3 socket.  My understanding is that the -3 socket is quite different from the -v3 and the -v4.  However, the manufacturer sent me a -v4 and when questioned the supplier said they cannot confirm it will work in the motherboard - very frustrating.  I guess I'll send it back and look for the -3.  Would like to use the -v4 as I have it in hand and can get on with life if I knew it would work.  It may simply need a BIOS upgrade to work but cannot get information on that either. Thanks for your effort. George Hart "It is better to see a thing once  than read about it a thousand times."
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Only MSI can tell you what their BIOS supports.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Al is correct; a replacement processor must be socket, board and BIOS compatible. Only the vendor can tell you what is supported by their board and especially by their BIOS.

...S

0 Kudos