Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Is the Q9650 compatible with Windows 10 64 bit ?

JCunn16
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Windows 10 64-bit will run, but it is not supported.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35428/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9650-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

However, things are not that bad. You have an add-on graphics card, right? That will help you in the transition to W10.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Saying the opposite, if you are reliant on the chipset-based graphics solution, you are in trouble. Intel is not supporting this graphics solution on Windows 10 and the Microsoft basic driver does not run very well. As Al indicated, you should use an add-in graphics card if you want to run Windows 10.

...S

0 Kudos
JCunn16
Beginner

Thank you Al and N. Scott.Pearson ! So here is what I have. A 2008ish Hp Pavilion a6519fh. Installed a 1TB SSD drive , Windows 10 32bit and 8 GB of ram, Geforce GT 1030 video card and still had the E2180 was still in it. Bought the Q9650 but havent tried installing it until recently.

Before the cpu upgrade I switched to Win 10 64 bit. Everything was running GREAT ...but then I got bored and tried installing the Q9650....no go...removed everything out of my tower that I added and just had a bare bones pc. After several OS installs and crashes, I finally got the pc to accept the Q9650 and its working great until I noticed that my OS was back to x86 based. So ive tried numerous times, numerous ISO installs, {both USB drive and cd/dvd but it always freezes at the Windows logo. So if I cant get Win 10 64bit to work with the Q9650, I may have to go back to the original cpu and lots of ram but it works with 64bit.

Being a car guy, its like taking a V-8 out and putting in a 4 Cyl but with a great sound system..lol

Thanks again !

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, this is a different situation.

First, which is likely the case, your HP BIOS does not support the Q9650. The only way to verify is to have HP tell you if the Q9650 is compatible with their bios, or not.

Next, the Q9650 does support 64-bit windows. That you are having trouble using the existing W10 64-bit, and even tryng a fresh install, takes me back to the HP BIOS support of the Q9650.

Doc

0 Kudos
JCunn16
Beginner

Al, I have the spec sheet for my mother board that came in my Hp and there were a bunch of cpus listed that would work in that motherboard. So I guess I just assumed that they would work with that same BIOS. I mean, its working great in my pc right now but just not when I have W10 64bit installed. I will keep trying.

J

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Some processors require that a specific minimum version of the BIOS be installed before they can be used. I do not know if this is the case here, but it's not uncommon.

...S

0 Kudos