Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14535 Discussions

Is the constant load on the processor from 90 to 100% harmful for processor ?

AMedo
Beginner

In our company there is one server. His processor was anytime loaded at 90-100%. Nearly month later, he broke down.

One person said that the server broke because his processor was too heavily loaded.

And we have a heated argument. Is the constant load on the processor from 90 to 100% harmful for processor ?

Sorry for my english, I wrote through google translate.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

"a heated argument" - LOL! An inadvertent, but certainly applicable, pun!

The fact that a processor is running at 90-100% utilization all the time isn't, by itself, an indicator for eventual failure. If running at this level is resulting in the processor (or circuitry around it) running constantly at critical temperature levels, then this would most certainly result in a failure (though it may not be the processor that fails).

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello snikersmrg,

I understand you are having a question regarding the usage an Intel® processor can support. Please allow me to help you with this question you have.

First, please provide me with the model of the processor you had this issue.

Furthermore, when you say "constant load on the processor" are you referring to the heat or to the usage of it?

Antony S.
AMedo
Beginner

Processor model Xeon e5 2603 v3.

I mean the load and not the temperature.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

"a heated argument" - LOL! An inadvertent, but certainly applicable, pun!

The fact that a processor is running at 90-100% utilization all the time isn't, by itself, an indicator for eventual failure. If running at this level is resulting in the processor (or circuitry around it) running constantly at critical temperature levels, then this would most certainly result in a failure (though it may not be the processor that fails).

...S

0 Kudos
AMedo
Beginner

Thank you.

I agree with your opinion. I think absolutely the same.

0 Kudos