Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Is the following two processors are the same Intel Core i7 9700 8 Cores /12MB/8T/ up to 4.9 GHz/ 95W and Intel Core i7 9700 8 Cores /12MB/8T/ up to 4.7 GHz/ 65W?

MHelm8
Beginner

I ordered desktop (AIO) with Intel Core i7 9700 8 Cores /12MB/8T/ up to 4.9 GHz/ 95W and the partner deliver me AIO with Intel Core i7 9700 8 Cores /12MB/8T/ up to 4.7 GHz/ 65W and the partner told me that the both processors are identical

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Without any suffix, an i7-9700 and an i7-9700 are the SAME processor. What you are seeing, I believe, is the max frequency of a single core versus the turbo-boost max frequency of multiple cores.

Doc

0 Kudos
MHelm8
Beginner

You are right ... the difference is the max frequency but the vendor told me that the two processors are identical

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The processors are the same. There is only one i7-9700. If I recall correctly, I remember the thread from your vendor in Egypt regarding your Dell AIO.

As I told him, contact Dell for support on this. They designed the AIO. They are the integrator. They are the manufacturer. Any specific questions regarding this AIO from Dell have to be answered by Dell.

I do not know what it is you are trying to accomplish, but Dell will have the answer for you.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, I am going to have to expand upon Al's take on this one. Consider,

1. The i7-9700 is a 65W processor with a 4.7GHz turbo boost.
  2. The (unlocked) i7-9700K and i7-9700KF are the two 95W versions of this processor that support a 4.9GHz turbo boost.

[Here is a comparison of the current set of i7-9700xx processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=191792,195306,193738,186604,190885,191048,195329.]

My take on this situation is that the AIO was always detailed as having the i7-9700 processor. I believe the storefront providing the specs for the i7-9700 somehow mixed them up with that for the i7-9700K or i7-9700KF.

Let's think about this. In my mind, an AIO is almost the equivalent of a laptop in the sense that the thermal solution necessary needs to be finely crafted to minimize the confines of the AIO chassis. I was actually somewhat surprised to see an AIO using a Desktop processor; I would have (by default) expected to see a Mobile processor being used. Of course, a Mobile processor would typically not be replaceable, so I can certainly understand the use of Desktop processors to support upgrade paths. The 'but" here is that AIO designs have to manage the thermal load in a consistent fashion, yet the space available for the solution is limited. Since the thermal load from a 95W processor will be significantly higher than that for a 65W, it makes sense that they would not even offer a version of the AIO with either of these 95W processors due to the additional space necessary to handle the thermal mass required to support proper thermal dissipation.

Bottom line, you are likely getting the top processor available in this AIO design. That the storefront mixed up the specs for this processor is problematic, but I wouldn't think it intentional.

...S

0 Kudos