Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Is the i7-4770K's HD Graphics 4600 HDCP compliant?

ASuar2
Beginner

I opted for using the integrated graphics from the i7-4770K as my main and only option.

I recently purchased a HDHomeRun Prime tuner to be used with Windows Media Center.

For Non-Encrypted channels I had no problem viewing/recording.

My problem is was with Encrypted Channels where I would get no Video but only Audio.

My monitor (Dell 27 - S2740L) is HDCP compliant through the DVI-D so I have a HDMI-to-DVI cable from Asus Maximus Impact Motherboard to Monitor.

So after 3 days of struggling, I dusted off my old Radeon HD5870 and manage to fit it into my case.... barely fit and voila... it worked!!!

So is it safe to say that the problem stems from the Haswell i7-4770K's HD Graphics 4600 not being HDCP compliant?

And if so, will it get fixed?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Al2suarez, please allow me to inform you that our 4th generation Intel® Core™ I7-4770K with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 is HDCP 2.1 compliant.

Something important that I can share with you are that HDCP only works with HDMI version 1.4.

Another recommendation I can give is to use straight connection through HDMI, avoid using cable since these cables may or may not work with your computer.

Additional information on the HD Graphics 4600 will be find on this link http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

0 Kudos
ASuar2
Beginner

Hello Sylvia,

You know, I did end up using my HDMI cable and had the same problem but I don't think the cable was version 1.4

Now I am itching to go home for lunch and trying out an HDMI 1.4,,, but I can't. Will post back when i get my hands on a proper cable.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ASuar2
Beginner

sylvia_intel wrote:

Al2suarez, please allow me to inform you that our 4th generation Intel® Core™ I7-4770K with Intel® HD Graphics 4600 is HDCP 2.1 compliant.

Something important that I can share with you are that HDCP only works with HDMI version 1.4.

Another recommendation I can give is to use straight connection through HDMI, avoid using cable since these cables may or may not work with your computer.

Additional information on the HD Graphics 4600 will be find on this link http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics

So I had to go purchase a HDMI 1.4 cable, I reset Windows Media Center and went through the whole setup. And the results were the same. For Encrypted channels it show Black with Audio and for non-Encrypted channels both Video & Audio work fine.

Could it be that Asus Maximus VI Impact Motherboarb's HDMI output is not HDCP compliant? I went to their forums and posted the same question but no one from Asus has responded with an answer to my question. This particular motherboard just came out about 1.5 months ago so I am surprise that it would not be compliant.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Alvaro Suarez

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Alvaro please let me know once you got any response from Asus.

I also found the following article. There are some FAQs about HDMI technology and our graphics.

0 Kudos
ASuar2
Beginner

sylvia_intel wrote:

Alvaro please let me know once you got any response from Asus.

I also found the following article. There are some FAQs about HDMI technology and our graphics.

Sylvia, you forgot to include the article

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
JBouc3
Beginner

I'm having the same problem. 4770K having issue with HDCP in my HTPC build. I've tried both 1.4 hdmi cables and dvi to hdmi cables. Nothing works. Black screen with audio on copy protected channels.

I'm running HDMI to my receiver and then HDMI from my receiver to my TV supposedly everything is HDCP compliant. If I pop in a gtx 650 I have no issues. Everything points to a lack of HDCP compatibility with Intel's graphics solution.

I would like this to work since Intel advertises HDCP compliance with their onboard graphics solutions and I'ld rather not needlessly run a graphics card in my HTPC just to suck power and as a work around to a lack of feature support on my cpu.

From what I have found on the web this has been a known issue for over 6 years.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Jonny80s, sorry to hear you are having issues with your system.

I would recommend you checking if you have the latest BIOS version available for your motherboard.

Also, make sure you have the latest software version and patch.

You could try using the latest and an earlier graphics driver version. Even the driver provided by the OEM could be tested.

0 Kudos
JBouc3
Beginner

Everything is up to date.

After speaking with a cable company technician we hit upon the problem. As cable companies move more of their channels to SDV those channels are mpeg4 encoded. It's not an HDCP problem it's just that the onboard graphics doesn't support mpeg4 encoding. Which seems rather bizarre to me since it's been around for so long and more and more is moving to that format.

J Boucakis

0 Kudos
PMage1
Beginner

Ok so I just built a new machine using the new HD 4600 graphics, Gigabyte system board, 16GB RAM, etc., in other words a power system. Windows Media Center wouldn't play the DRM channels just like described above (black screen, audio was good, even had closed captions). My solution was to uninstall the Intel video drivers and drop an old NVidia GeForce GT610 card in it, lay the NVidia drivers down and I'm off to the races. Clearly this is a problem with the integrated video or video drivers since all my other hardware and drivers were the same, HDMI cable included.

0 Kudos
JBouc3
Beginner

That's correct intel's driver doesn't support playback of mpeg4 streaming video, however the audio will work.

0 Kudos