Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14396 Discussions

Is this consider overclocking?

Timlab55
Beginner

I have the i7-9700k cpu.  The clock speed on it 3.6Ghz with a turbo clock speed of 4.9Ghz.  So if I put all cores up to 4.9GHz is this consider over clocking?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would think so. You will be exceeding the TDP of the processor. The processor is designed to support Turbo Boost to 4.9GHz with a single Core active, not with all cores active. Likely, Turbo Boost won't run for long as the temperature will rise to levels that disable it and cause it to drop back to 3.6GHz.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Thank you Scott.  The only reason why I ask is because I know that 1 core active will, however, when running handbrake, with CPU-z watching (not OC), I noticed that my core only get up to 4.6GHz and stop at 4.6 Ghz.  No cores will even go up to 4.9Ghz, and my temps are around 70C.  Any reason or rime with this?

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There are a lot of criteria that come into play for Turbo Boost, temperature, power limits, etc. I don't have time to write it all up here. There are lots of documents published by Intel that explain how it works.

Have you done the simple things like look in BIOS Setup to see what the criteria being used are? In many cases, laptop manufacturers will lower the settings to avoid cooling issues, increase battery life, etc.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Thank you for answering and yes I do agree with you 100% there is alot of things that go on.  In your statement tho you said "Have you done the simple things like look in BIOS Setup to see what the criteria being used are? In many cases, laptop manufacturers will lower the settings to avoid cooling issues, increase battery life, etc.".  An i7-9700k can't go inside a laptop I believe, but this is for a desktop, and I haven't looked.  Can you guide me where to look in the BIOS and I'll look tomorrow morning.  

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I have no idea what your BIOS look like, so can't help you much. If support is provided for setting the Turbo Boost multipliers for 1, 2, 4, etc. cores, it should be in the area where the processor is configured.

...S

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

I when back into my BIOS and when into OC.  Changed all the cores to 4.9 GHz, and ran my World of Warships game without any problems and no crashing.  So I do know it's stable at 4.9 and I have to be happy with that because when I tried 5.0 all sorts of things happen.  So 4.9 is what I paid for and now I have it.  O well thanks

Dan

0 Kudos