Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Issue with CPU when running Intel Extreme tuning utility

remo222
Beginner

I have an i9 9900 non k, when running benchmarks for my CPU, I have noticed that it does not run at the specified turbo clock speed, instead it runs at 3.4 ghz on the multi core test. I ran the intel extreme utility and found that there was an issue with the power being throttled. I looked in to this and was advised to increase my power limits in the bios but when I do this, my system does run at the clock speed of 4.6 ghz when running the intel extreme test utility but the system crashes. The temps when running the stress test are below 80 degrees. I am not sure what is wrong, is there a problem with my CPU or with my motherboard or power supply?

I have recently installed an Asrock B365M motherboard and have a 600 watt power supply.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

XTU does not support your processor.  Only X and K processors are supported.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello remo222,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you, please provide the following report and information so we can move forward with your request.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

1. When did you buy the processor?
  2. Do you use XMP? If yes at what speed?

Please take into consideration the following:

XTU

The Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) is not compatible with your processor, since your CPU is not unlocked; therefore, no changes should be performed with it; nonetheless, the XTU can be used to monitor the temperatures real-time to make sure the system is not getting overheated.

Note: The T-junction of the processor is 100°C, so any value lower than that is considered normal and expected for this unit if no overheating symptoms are encountered.

Frequency

Please take into account that this processor has a base frequency of 3.10 GHz and a turbo frequency of 5.00 GHz; nevertheless, these two values can only be achieved if the processor has the correct thermal dissipation, a defined workload, and if the operating environment, meaning the overall assemble of components, allows it.

CPU

Run our IPDT. It completes an overall test for your processor. If the results show passed, it means that the CPU is working properly and that will allow you to rule out a possible hardware problem with it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
remo222
Beginner

Thanks Victor for responding to my post.

Attached is the SSU Save file.

I have run the intel diagnostic tool before but the stress test on it only runs at 3.4 ghz and not at 4.6 ghz.

Regards,

Aleem

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello remo222,

We appreciate the information provided and we would like to share with you some information, recommendations, and request the report from our IPDT tool.

• Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results in a .txt file. 
  • To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

Note: You can use the option under the reply window to attach the report and any other files to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).

Please bear in mind that processors do not run at their maximum frequency all the time.

The processor automatically selects the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If the workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency.

Ensure the following:

• Make sure that your system does not have physical constraints that will prevent the processor from reaching its max turbo frequency. Examples of the physical constraints of the processor could be power delivery and thermal solution.
  • Make sure your processor thermal cooling solution is appropriate for your system and properly installed.
  • Make sure your BIOS is up to date and/or reset BIOS to its default.
  • Make sure the Turbo option (if available in the BIOS) is not disabled. In general, it should be enabled by default. Consult your motherboard/BIOS manufacturer on how to enable Turbo in the BIOS.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
remo222
Beginner

Hi Victor,

File is attached.

I tried increasing the power limits in the bios and when I did the stress test on the intel extreme tuning app, the processor ran at 4.6 ghz on all the cores but after about 3 or 4 mins the system hung. I am not sure why it is doing this, there is no thermal throttling alert coming up on the intel extreme utility.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello remo222,

Based on the results of the IPDT it seems that the processor is working as expected, please bear in mind that the processor as we were discussing will automatically select the best frequency depending on the workload demand. If the workload demand is high and there are no physical constraints, then the processor may operate at or close to the turbo frequency.

Our strongest recommendation will be to run your BIOS to default settings and get in touch with your motherboard manufacturer for any instructions.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello remo222,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello remo222,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Victor G. 

0 Kudos