Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Issue with Sandy Bridge Chipset

idata
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am not quite sure if this is motherboard related or not but I am having a difficult time booting up my system (Win7 64 Bit/ i5-2500K /DP67BG /Corsair HX750 Modular Supply) I have tried two different XFX 8800 and 9800 working PCI-Express Boards in both of the two slots pci express slots.

This system refuses to boot.

If I remove the cards and put an older X700 Pro Radeon card in (which does not require an external pcie power supply connector), the system boots just fine. Do you think this might be BIOS related? or may be a power supply issue related?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks..

4 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Based on what info your provided I would suspect a power supply issue.

Possiable the PS is having issues supplying enough power to both video and motherboard with the higher power video cards.

idata
Employee

Thanks Doc. I am beginining to suspect the power supply is the issue. I wish I had a second power supply to try. The system is limping with a very low end card right now but is working at least. I'll see what the power supply makers say about this.

Cheers

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay another power supply does not solve the issue, same result, system refuses to boot up and continuously reboots. The cards I have tried are knwon working cards in other systems XFX 8800 and 9800.

It does boot up with an ATI X700 PRo which does not require seperate pci-express power.

Am I missing something here? Is there a problem with suppot for these cards?

If the board was bad wouldnt it not accept any pci card?

Puzzled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Mike, try to boot with single card with ext pwr supply try to get to the bios and change the boot sequence . ckeck if it works

0 Kudos