Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

J series processors questions

jwilliams
Beginner

This relates to the J-series processors (e.g. J2900, J5040, etc.). I have two separate, but related questions.

1) It's pretty clear that you're lying in your specifications regarding the amount of RAM that these processors support. How can I find out the actual amount of RAM that a J-series processor supports?

2) Not quite as important, but I'm wondering why it's thought that lying about the specification of your own product is seen as a good idea? I mean, it's not like we're talking about a performance processor here; you're not going to sell less Core i9s if a J5040 can support the same amount of RAM. On the other hand, you might lose some sales to some of the low power Ryzen processors since they don't seem to have a problem letting potential customers know how much RAM they support. Also, if you're lying about one spec, it makes one wonder what other specs you're lying about.

Why do I mention the J2900 and J5040? Because I have a couple of J2900s running with 16GB of RAM, double what you say they support, and I have some test data for a J5040 running with a single 32GB stick of DDR4, 4x the amount you say it'll support. Since all of your specs for the J-series processors say "8GB", I must assume that they're likely all wrong.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jwilliams
Beginner

Just an update: I managed to find a copy of the datasheet for the J2900 and according to that it supports two banks of 8GB each, for a total of 16GB. That's exactly what the MoBo said it supported, what I've been running on my machines, and twice what you say in your processor specs that the processor supports.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jwilliams, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Please let me review these processors specifications internally. Once we have an update, we will let you know via this thread. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jwilliams,  

Thank you for waiting. 

Please be aware that some SKUs/units may perform beyond specification, but Intel does not validate or support those configurations. Because of that, Intel product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications. Check with the system and components manufacturers for support or additional details. 

We are currently looking into the specifications of the units you mentioned just in case they have changed or are listed incorrectly. 

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jwilliams,  

Were you able to check the previous post with the information we provided? Please let me know if you have any additional questions.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello jwilliams,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos