Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

J3160 boasts burst frequency of 2.24Ghz with no Turbo Boost

TGluf
Novice
With no Turbo Boost how can there be a burst speed?

From what I've always noticed when a cpu has a baseline speed as well a higher speed which Intel refers to as burst speed then from my understanding boost technology would be required. Maybe this is due to the fact I'm more familiar with AMD products, as with AMD they explicitly say CPU with 3.7Ghz able to boost to 4Ghz. I called Intel support and some guy was trying to tell me I had to overclock my machine to get that performance and I really just didn't believe him so here I am.

So if anyone can help me answer these questions and help me understand this a bit better.

What is burst frequency?

How is burst frequency achieved without boost technology?

If overclocking is mandatory, that could be damaging if the wrong person tried, why is this not labeled better?

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Terrylee23:

In regard to your first question, In fact the idea is pretty much the same, however Intel® Burst technology basically is to provide on-demand higher performance for very short intervals of time in small device form factors, is a feature of low-end Intel processors (low-cost Pentiums, Celerons, those in the Atom series) that also allows the processor to run at a higher clock speed than advertised, but only for a short period of time. This is usually activated automatically when the CPU is on a high load.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if they are operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits on desktop and mobile platforms, is a feature of some high-end Intel processors that allows the processor to run at a higher clock speed than advertised as long as the processor is below its thermal limits.

Since both of them are basically almost the same, the burst frequency does not depend on turbo boost to work or vice versa, is just that depending on the processor you are using the name will be different.

The overclocking is not mandatory, actually Intel provide the option for customer to try it, but it is not recommended, it is not supported and it is not cover under warranty, as you can confirm on the following link, please read below:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello Terrylee23:

In regard to your first question, In fact the idea is pretty much the same, however Intel® Burst technology basically is to provide on-demand higher performance for very short intervals of time in small device form factors, is a feature of low-end Intel processors (low-cost Pentiums, Celerons, those in the Atom series) that also allows the processor to run at a higher clock speed than advertised, but only for a short period of time. This is usually activated automatically when the CPU is on a high load.

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if they are operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits on desktop and mobile platforms, is a feature of some high-end Intel processors that allows the processor to run at a higher clock speed than advertised as long as the processor is below its thermal limits.

Since both of them are basically almost the same, the burst frequency does not depend on turbo boost to work or vice versa, is just that depending on the processor you are using the name will be different.

The overclocking is not mandatory, actually Intel provide the option for customer to try it, but it is not recommended, it is not supported and it is not cover under warranty, as you can confirm on the following link, please read below:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/overclocking-intel-processors.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos