Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

JTAG in Intel80386EX

Treskot
Beginner

Can I use the JTAG while the Intel80386EX microprocessor is running? i.e. to stop the MP clocking on some command and then use JTAG. And after using it, start clocking the MP again so that it executes commands

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Treskot,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you please provide the following information:

• Are you a developer?
  • Are you working/testing a custom system?
  • Is this an embedded system project?

I would appreciate if you could provide more information about the environment.

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Treskot
Beginner

Hello, @Esteban_D_Intel,

Thanks for the answer.

I am developing a bench to study this MP. The MP JTAG is used to read/write its external memory.At the bench, the MP program is implemented by commands.

To debug the program, you need to know the state of the MP registers. Therefore, after executing each command, the MP loads the register states into its external memory and stops at the next command. The memory area with register values is read using JTAG and output to the user, but after that the MP does not execute any further commands.

So I ask if I can use the JTAG to read its memory and then continue executing commands, or JTAG can not be used while the MP is running?

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Treskot,

Thank you so much for your response and clarification.

Based on your concern there are a few recommendations that I would like to share with you to get the appropriate support on this matter:

For any concern in regards to the microprocessor please refer to Rochester Electronics contact information in the following link.

As you are a developer I would strongly recommend that you submit your question on the Intel® Developer Zone.  

Please register, and create an account so that you can receive further troubleshooting support, and get access to useful documentation.  

Intel® Developer Zone - Contact Page

I hope this helps and that the information provided will help to answer your concern.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos