Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

Just bought NEW i7-8086k processer. I see thermal compound on the top left side of the pcb by heat speader

DMoor5
Beginner

Just bought a NEW but opened i7-8086k processor from what is suppose to be a reputable online retailer. Installed it in the socket of new Z390 motherboard. I went to install the ram and I noticed some thermal compound on the left side of the pcb about 1/4 inch long and about 1/16th inch wide at the top left corner. I took a toothpick and touched it and it is soft enough to draw a line into it. Is this normal for a new CPU chip? Has me kinda spooked if it is new. I haven't built a PC in 10+years, so not sure.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you purchased a boxed processor that included a heatsink-fan unit, this heatsink will have TIM preinstalled on it. If the heatsink is attached to the processor and the processor powered up, this could result in some of the TIM staying on the processors heat spreader when they are subsequently separated. If, on the other hand, someone attempted to install a 3rd-party heatsink-fan unit onto the processor, it would have either come with TIM preinstalled on it or the user could have added some themselves.

In either case, what you received is not simply an open box. An attempt was made to install and perhaps even power on this processor and this would make it a USED processor (for which you would then have no warranty). I strongly suggest that you return this processor to this (perhaps not so) reputable online retailer and have the processor replaced with one that is not used.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you purchased a boxed processor that included a heatsink-fan unit, this heatsink will have TIM preinstalled on it. If the heatsink is attached to the processor and the processor powered up, this could result in some of the TIM staying on the processors heat spreader when they are subsequently separated. If, on the other hand, someone attempted to install a 3rd-party heatsink-fan unit onto the processor, it would have either come with TIM preinstalled on it or the user could have added some themselves.

In either case, what you received is not simply an open box. An attempt was made to install and perhaps even power on this processor and this would make it a USED processor (for which you would then have no warranty). I strongly suggest that you return this processor to this (perhaps not so) reputable online retailer and have the processor replaced with one that is not used.

Hope this helps,

...S