Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Just bought the i5 9600k and wondered what air coolers fit ...

SeanD
Beginner

with this cpu (socket) without needing to get some other special type of bracket and such.  I want to get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or possibly something else that has good CFM.  I would like an RGB cooler considering my motherboard and ram are such but not going to pay much more for that.  Btw in Canada ...
and options to order from are generally Newegg and Amazon with other options I rarely use.  Help appreciated.

1 Solution
GRees
Novice

Cryorig H7 is good, I've got it on my 9600K o/c to 4.7 all cores.

Same size as the Hyper 212 but the fitting is SO much easier, I speak from experience of the two.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SeanD

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding your inquiries, we can offer only general guidelines. We would like to mention that any cooler compatible with the 1151 socket that is able to dissipate at least 95 Watts of heat should be fine, and if you're planning to overclock look for at least 200 Watts to be on the safe side.

Regarding additional details like design, cooler features, RGB, sellers, etc, the best decision should be based on your needs and personal preferences, we hope that other community peers may provide suggestions, and we also recommend checking this further with the sellers and manufacturers.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GRees
Novice

Cryorig H7 is good, I've got it on my 9600K o/c to 4.7 all cores.

Same size as the Hyper 212 but the fitting is SO much easier, I speak from experience of the two.

0 Kudos
SeanD
Beginner

I ended up going with the Hyper 212 EVO.  As for the other it was not available through Amazon for a reasonable price and so I hope installing the CM cooler will not be as bad as an experience as you here or some others have described it. : S

0 Kudos
GRees
Novice

The most irritating thing I found with it was trying to lower it gently with one hand (it's not light) and trying to keep the retention arms lined up with the retention holes while they flailed about like the arms of a drowning man.

I'm sure once it was on it would have worked great but I gave up, got the H7 which was a (5 min install), and flogged the 212 on EBay (which is where I also got the H7 for a bargain price). Life's too short.

AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SeanD

We noticed that you have received suggestions from the community and that you already chose the model of the cooler to be installed with the processor. Having said that, we will proceed to close the thread, if you have additional questions please submit a new thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos