Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

Just built my new computer not booting up need help!?!

idata
Employee

Hey i just built my new computer my mother board is an Intel DG45ID and my processor is a core 2 duo e7500. i have a 500 watt PSU and everything is plugged in, but when i go to turn it on none of the fans run or the fan on the PSU. But there is a green light on the mother board when connected to the power. please help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi there wotanwolf

Not sure what really the problem is. But maybe I can help with these basic steps (sometimes i forgot these things myself):

1. Maybe re-check the pin setting especially for the power switch in the computer case

2. Confirm if you have plugged in the 4-pin fan heatsink cable to the Board connector named CPU-FAN or just the socket near your processor (not the 20+4 ATX Power supply connector). As this gives power to the heatsink

The green light on the board indicates a special feature of the Intel Desktop board (not sure what it is called really, but I know it's not for power indication. Yet, it is still a good indicator that power is supplied through your board, Sorry for confusion)

Also, check this page out for your board. Just an overview for installing. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020836.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020836.htm

I wish I could be some help through these simple informations.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

yeah i made sure the the power tio the heatsink is plugged in. so eveything is plugged in and yet i connect it to power and turn it on nothing comes on the screen and none of the fans run,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hmm.. So that didn't work

Have you tried isolating the components? Unplugging all the devices except those that are essential

Try to boot up with just the board, processor, memory and power supply plugged in

If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, try booting up with either of the memory sticks

Maybe you can also try different components on your system

Also tried looking up on different forums and all that comes up is checking of each different components

Hope this helps..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just to add up to that,

Try testing the power supply externally

Or bypass the computer case power switch and manually power on the board (Faulty computer case power switch, maybe unusual, but it still is possible)

On the Motherboard, locate the pins for the computer case power switch and remove the caps over them

there should be two pins exposed. short them with a flat-head screwdriver and see if the system turns on

proceed with caution thinkering with your system while the power is plugged in

idata
Employee

I have had that same problem several times over the years of building computers. I would suggest trouble shooting by:

1) Check all connections especially the switch and front panel lights on the front panel connector.

2) Pull all of the parts out and insert one at a time. Use the internal video even if you intend to use a video card.

3) Remove the CPU and inspect to make sure of orientation and damage. If you have an old CPU try it in to see if it works.

4) If you have a working system, you can try each of the components including the CPU to make sure they are not damaged.

5) Pull the motherboard and make sure there are no metal standoffs that may be in the wrong case holes and shorting the circuit board.

6) Be a detective eliminating each part of the system one by one.

Good luck!