Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience has changed to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
13142 Discussions

Kaby Lake to reach EOL this year. How does this affect me? Do I really need to upgrade?

WRich12
Beginner

Today it came to my knowledge that Intel intends to discontinue Kaby Lake-S processors on the 9th of October 2020.

I use an i5-7400 on my day-to-day desktop. Been using this CPU for 2 years. It does everything I need flawlessly.

Will I have any problems if I don't upgrade to a newer processor past the EOL date?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Absolutely not. Discontinuance just means that Intel will no longer be building these particular processors. You have a Desktop processor. This processor has a (3 year limited, I believe) warranty. In addition, Intel is typically providing driver updates for its processors for ~6 years (I do not know what they are publicly guaranteeing, however). Right now, graphics drivers are still being supported for 3rd gen processors (though support for Windows 7 has been dropped). Bottom line, you have nothing to worry about - for now, obsolescence will eventually catch up with you.

...S