Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

LGA2011v4 Socket does not exist???

PanosSingularCY
Beginner

Hello Everybody. I ordered a Supermicro motherboard ( MBD-X10SRL-F-0) and one Intel Xeon 2630v4 (LGA2011v3). The motherboard supports socket LGA2011v3 and the CPU chosen by me is fully compatible. Long story short, I started to build the server and realized that the CPU does not physically fit in the socket. On the CPU box the label says E5-2630v4, LGA2011v4 (?). Looks like that is a different socket. After many online searches and contacting the seller, I realized that this socket does not even exist. Even Intel has no mention of LGA2011v4 CPUs and of course motherboards with LGA2011v4 do not exist. For testing, I started an RMA process with this CPU (I didn't complete it, I just wanted to see what will happen). After scanning the serial number and the batch number, guess what: the CPU is recognized as an LGA2011v3 socket, even by Intel.

Now, I would like to know what is this CPU, is this a manufacturer mistake by Intel? How does it even exist? I mean, there is absolutely no mention online of an LGA2011v4 socket. The sockets stopped at LGA2011v3.  I need to return this to the seller, but in order to do so, I need to find out what kind of mistake this is.

Thanking you in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello RSump1,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Upon checking on our support site: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/92981/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2630-v4-25m-cache-2-20-ghz.html. The socket of the Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630 v4 is a 2011-3 as upi mentioned on your post.

Can you please share with us some pictures of the processor's box where it says they socket type? 

Also, please provided us a picture of the batch number (FPO) and the serial number (ATPO)?

You can check this site as reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005609/processors.html

Also, if possible please provide us a picture of your processor.

Finally, can you please provide us the name of the seller where you purchase this processor?

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
PanosSingularCY
Beginner

Hi.

Yes, this socket LGA2011v4 should not even exist. Please see attached image (I removed only the serial number, if needed I can send it private).  As you can see it clearly says LGA2011v4!!! Regarding the place of purchase, we are the resellers and we get our Intel products from a known wholesale source, which again I cannot reveal here, if needed only private. If you need pictures from the CPU together with the socket, so that you can clearly see the paradox that it doesn't fit physically, please kindly visit https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1066414-amazon-sold-me-a-fake-xeon/?_fromLogin=1 . This is the ONLY mention / post / material I could find online for LGA2011v4 and it is EXACTLY the same case as with me. I apologize, but I do not want to risk bent pins while putting this incompatible CPU again into the MB's socket. The pictures you will find on this post represent 100% our case. Unfortunately on this forum, no solution was ever posted. Now, the problem is that I need our wholesale partner make to understand so that they take back this CPU AND so that they can send me a correct one. Thank you.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello PanosSingularCY,

We are going to send you a private message via email in order to continue investigating on you this.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos