Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Laptop with 128GB RAM support and CPU

znawa
Beginner

I need a laptop with 128GB RAM. The laptop I am planning to purchase can be configured with 128GB RAM as per vendors website (Lenovo P52), the processor options are

• Intel® Xeon® E-2176M
  • Core™ i7-8850H 

According to intel website however, the max memory supported by these CPUs is 64GB. How to resolve this conflicting information?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is something that happens with some regularity. The issue is that the limitation stated in the Intel documentation is based upon the available SODIMM sizes and installation configurations. When support for a new speed or size occurs (for example, the arrival of 32GB SODIMMs) or a manufacturer adds a new configuration (for example, supporting four SODIMMs instead of the normal two), the documentation can be slow to catch up.

For each processor, Intel provides the various OEMs/ODMs/IBVs with MRC (Memory Reference Code) modules that show their BIOS engineers how the memory controllers can be programmed to support the various (known) memory sizes, speeds and configurations. When new sizes, speeds or configurations appear, manufacturers can choose to wait for Intel to release updates to these modules that include these improvements or they can modify the modules themselves (or have an IBV do so for them). Thus, it is (also) possible to see a system that supports memory sizes, speeds or configurations that are not listed as supported by Intel.

Bottom line, if Lenovo is listing this design as supporting 128GB of memory with certain processors, they are taking responsibility for the extensions to the MRC that were necessary to support this capability. Regardless, in the case of a laptop design, Lenovo is providing the warranty for the processor (Lenovo has the warranty from Intel for this processor, not you) and thus you should deal directly with Lenovo, not Intel, regarding any issues that occur. Obviously, you should also be dealing with them regarding any inconsistencies between their stated levels of support and Intel's documentation.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos