Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11670 Discussions

Lenovo all in one with I5 or I7?

idata
Community Manager

I had a Lenovo B50-30 with an I5-4460T processor. That PC got hit by lightning via the Ethernet cable and has now been replaced with a new Lenovo AIO 910 all in one which has an I5 6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz. It has 8Gb RAM and is 64bit. My first thoughts are that this PC is a bit slow and that maybe I should have opted to pay a little more and got the https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideacentre-510-all-in-one-pc-intel-core-i7-8gb-2tb-hdd-nvidia-gt940... Lenovo IdeaCentre 510 All-in-One PC, Intel Core i7, 8GB, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GT940MX, 23" Full HD, White.

This machine has a Quad-Core i7-7700 processor.

So here's my dilemma - I don't do gaming. I do photo and video editing and then just normal word/excel documents. Not big on social media and streaming music and videos etc. So would the i7 really make an improvement in speed of operation or am I just thinking it would. The spec suggests a faster machine but I don't want to change if the difference is that small that I barely notice it. Maybe the i5 is good and I'm just being over picky. Certainly the startup time of my PC is pretty slow but then I read that in a review before purchase so should not be surprised.

I would be most appreciative if someone could give a view.

Thankyou

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, depending upon how sophisticated you are, video editing can take a lot of processing power (though, for the most part, it is I/O bound). Still, I would think that an i5 processor should be just fine for this - and is likely overkill for the simpler things like document management, email and web surfing. I have an office chock full of computers from lowly Atom processors all the way up to high-end Core i7 processors. While I can feel differences in the snappiness of the Windows user interface between the Atom/Pentium/Celeron-class processors and the Core i3/i5/i7-class processors, I cannot say that I feel a lot of differences between the i3, i5 and i7 systems; certainly no heavy lag anyway. I jump from machine to machine without feeling much difference - except when the O/S changes from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Windows 7 is *always* much snappier! (its all that spyware that Microsoft includes in Windows 10)

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, depending upon how sophisticated you are, video editing can take a lot of processing power (though, for the most part, it is I/O bound). Still, I would think that an i5 processor should be just fine for this - and is likely overkill for the simpler things like document management, email and web surfing. I have an office chock full of computers from lowly Atom processors all the way up to high-end Core i7 processors. While I can feel differences in the snappiness of the Windows user interface between the Atom/Pentium/Celeron-class processors and the Core i3/i5/i7-class processors, I cannot say that I feel a lot of differences between the i3, i5 and i7 systems; certainly no heavy lag anyway. I jump from machine to machine without feeling much difference - except when the O/S changes from Windows 10 to Windows 7: Windows 7 is *always* much snappier! (its all that spyware that Microsoft includes in Windows 10)

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

idata
Community Manager

Many thanks for taking time to respond. It was very helpful.

Ron.