Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Lifespan of the processor

L_K
Novice

Hi guys,

I'm looking to by a laptop for university (HP ENVY x360 15-ed1769) and the only thing I'm a little worried about is the processor (Intel® Core™ i51135G7 4.2GHz).

The notebook is going to be used for note taking, essays and presentations, programming on a smaller scale and media consumption.

So the question is how long will the processor last and have an acceptable speed? I'm planning on useing it for at least 5-6 years.

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

If you purchase a boxed processor, the warranty is 3 years.  However, when you purchase a laptop, the warranty provided by the laptop manufacture is typically ONE YEAR.

How long will a processor last?  I have processors that are 20 years old and still breathing. 

Provided you replace the thermal paste when it dries out, and keep the heatsink/fans clean, and provide proper ventilation, the speed should never change.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If you purchase a boxed processor, the warranty is 3 years.  However, when you purchase a laptop, the warranty provided by the laptop manufacture is typically ONE YEAR.

How long will a processor last?  I have processors that are 20 years old and still breathing. 

Provided you replace the thermal paste when it dries out, and keep the heatsink/fans clean, and provide proper ventilation, the speed should never change.

L_K
Novice

Thanks a lot.

1. How do you know the thermal paste dried out?

2. When I take care of the processor it should be able to handle everything I want do do in 5 years, right!?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, you do not know.  But, after 5 years or so, it would probably be good just to change it. 

As a general rule of thumb, yes.  But, many things can happen, and many things can change in five years.  There are no absolutes here.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

L_K
Novice

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

0 Kudos