Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11680 Discussions

Lifespan of the processor

L_K
Novice

Hi guys,

I'm looking to by a laptop for university (HP ENVY x360 15-ed1769) and the only thing I'm a little worried about is the processor (Intel® Core™ i51135G7 4.2GHz).

The notebook is going to be used for note taking, essays and presentations, programming on a smaller scale and media consumption.

So the question is how long will the processor last and have an acceptable speed? I'm planning on useing it for at least 5-6 years.

Thank you in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

If you purchase a boxed processor, the warranty is 3 years.  However, when you purchase a laptop, the warranty provided by the laptop manufacture is typically ONE YEAR.

How long will a processor last?  I have processors that are 20 years old and still breathing. 

Provided you replace the thermal paste when it dries out, and keep the heatsink/fans clean, and provide proper ventilation, the speed should never change.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

If you purchase a boxed processor, the warranty is 3 years.  However, when you purchase a laptop, the warranty provided by the laptop manufacture is typically ONE YEAR.

How long will a processor last?  I have processors that are 20 years old and still breathing. 

Provided you replace the thermal paste when it dries out, and keep the heatsink/fans clean, and provide proper ventilation, the speed should never change.

View solution in original post

L_K
Novice

Thanks a lot.

1. How do you know the thermal paste dried out?

2. When I take care of the processor it should be able to handle everything I want do do in 5 years, right!?

AlHill
Super User

Well, you do not know.  But, after 5 years or so, it would probably be good just to change it. 

As a general rule of thumb, yes.  But, many things can happen, and many things can change in five years.  There are no absolutes here.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

L_K
Novice

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers