Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Linux in Intel Atom z3735f

MD_RAKIB_GAYEN
Beginner
I have a laptop with Intel Atom z3735f processor with 2GB max RAM. It is running Windows 10 by default from the manufacturer. I want to run any light operating system ( like Linux lite or lubuntu ) but after a lots of try I couldn't not install any OS in my laptop. Showing error GRUB not installed during installation of Linux. I tried to solve the problem from internet. But not succeeded from any solution. Please help me regarding installation of any other os in my laptop. OR please tell me about all the compatible OS for my Intel laptop.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are going to have to contact the manufacturer of your laptop for help. What OS your laptop can support is determined by the design and implementation of the motherboard and (especially) its BIOS.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello MD_RAKIB_GAYEN,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html) website helpful to address your request.  

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued". https://ark.intel.com/ 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cabriofahrer
Beginner

Hello,

I don't know if you are still looking for a solution after more that a year, but here it is: Install the latest Linux Fedora for amd64, preferably a lightweight flavour with the xfce4 Desktop, e.g. And here is why: The problem of the Intel Atom Z3735F is, that although being an 64-bit processor, the EFi is only 32-bit. A very unfortunate design, if you ask me. Therefore, the installer of an OS needs a special file (bootia32.efi), so that the 32-bit EFI of the machine can recognize this on the installation stick and the perform the installation. Fedora is one of the few Linux Distributions that has this feature out-of-the-box. Works fine, only there are problems with sound, so maybe you will need an external usb sound device.

0 Kudos