Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

MTBF request for an Intel Xeon on a HPE Synergy server

BMoha12
Beginner

Hello Intel team , i got a customer , with an Intel Xeon on an HPE Synergy Gen10 server , running 90 % constantly for specific need.

I think this may short the MTBF of the CPU.

My customer wants to know how it will be affected . and what is the MTBF for his CPU.

Please contact me if you need further details.

Slim BENHMIDA,

HPE Technical Account Manager

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello BMoha12,

Intel does not make MTBF information available for Xeon® Processors. Processors are not repairable products. Instead, Intel makes FIT information available but only to customers with Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) in place.

Failure In Time (FIT) reports the number of expected failures per one billion hours of operation for a device.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BMoha12
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

Thanks for your response , let me ask the question in another way , my customer has a dozens of new servers with Intel Xeon processors , he is running on them a video encoding software which is consumming 90 % of CPU ressources.

Is it safe to run with that load 24 x 7 ?

How does that load affectes the processor life time ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Slim BENHMIDA

0 Kudos
BMoha12
Beginner

Additional info : the processors are Intel Xeon Gold 6140 CPU (2.3 Ghz / 18 cores )

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello BMoha12,

The failure of the processor depends on different factors (power consumption, memory, server board, etc) and we can not determine if the current configuration may affect the performance of the processor.

Again, we can assist you with a Failure In Time (FIT); however, we need you to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA).

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
BMoha12
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

I want to know what is the effect of running with 90 % CPU usage , all the time (regardless of the other factors power consumption, memory, server board, etc).

Is there any thresholds that we should not exceed for CPU usage.

Please check again and be back to me this is a critical information for my customer.

Thanks again.

Slim BENHMIDA

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello BMoha12,

The processor should be able to run at 90% all the time; however, this might affect the life expectancy of the processor.

Finally, one of the thresholds that should not be exceeded during the usage of the processor is the Tcase temperature. It should not exceed 91°C since it might affect the performance of the processor. You can find more information here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/120485/intel-xeon-gold-6140-processor-24-75m-cache-2-30-ghz.html

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello BMoha12,

I am following your question regarding to Intel® Xeon® Gold 6140, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

BMoha12
Beginner

Hello Sergio,

No you responded well to my request , thanks a lot for your assistance.

Have a great day to you and Intel team.

Regards,

Slim BENHMIDA

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello BMoha12,

You are welcome, in case you need more help, please contact us back.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos