Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

MY Core i7 860 processor is heating up a lot

kktrocks
Beginner

My processor is heating up a lot while starting the PC itself. The computer doesn't start. As soon as I power-on the computer, with-in 15-20 seconds,  the processors get heated up too much and the PC doesn't start. 

I tried with another i7 processor and the computer started well without any heat. 

Here is my configuration:

INTEL Core i7 -860  2.8 GHz

Motherboard: Zebronics H55 

FAN: Zebronics 

RAM: Samsung 16GB 

4 GB graphics card

0 Kudos
20 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Clean the heatsink.

Make sure the chassis and cpu fans are working.

Re-apply the thermal paste.

Insure there is adequate ventilation.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

kktrocks
Beginner

We had tried that, unfortunately, the PC still didn't start. With another CPU, it started instantly.  

I tried locating my CPU with batch number and serial number but couldn't locate it on Intel website. I had bought the PC from Amazon a few months back.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Are you saying that you upgraded to the i7-860? 

Did you verify that the motheboard bios supports this processor?

Did you verify that the processor is known to be good?

kktrocks
Beginner

I didn't upgrade.  I had tested with another working CPU just to make sure where the problem lies. 

I had received this PC with the configuration mentioned in my original post and yes Zebronics H55 motherboard supports CORE i7 Processor 800 series.

https://zebronics.com/products/zeb-h55-socket-1156

Supported CPU Intel Core i7-800/i5-700/i5-600/i3-500 series processors in LGA 1156

The PC was working well till May and suddenly stopped 1 day. Upon checking I found the issue with power-supply and motherboard and got them replaced but even after that, it didn't start because processor was faulty. 

So waiting for Intel support team to replace the processor. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"So waiting for Intel support team to replace the processor. "

Not going to happen.  This is a 2009 processor, which means it is 12-years old, long out of warranty, and long discontinued.

kktrocks
Beginner

But I received it with my new assembled PC in Oct 2020 only. It didn't even complete an year. So what can be done?

0 Kudos
kktrocks
Beginner

Also, I see that it is still being sold online by many merchants including Amazon. So if it happens to any of the customer, how s/he is going to get it replaced? 

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Processor-LGA1156-I7-860BOX/dp/B002KQ5KE8

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

As always, on sites like amazon and ebay, buyer beware.

AlHill
Super User

Contact your reseller/supplier.

Hard to imagine that someone is making "new" 12-year old PCs.

kktrocks
Beginner

I had called the Amazon support and they asked to reach out to manufacturer for the defective part. So my motherboard and power supply was rectified by Zebronics and now the processor needs to be rectified to bring up the PC in running state. 

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

Sounds like a refurbished computer, right?   Problem is, they can put old parts in!

0 Kudos
kktrocks
Beginner

Nowhere they mentioned that it was refurbished one. All the parts were new when I checked but i didn't check that i7 processor 860 is of 2009. We can't get to know this unless problem occurs and we take the CPU out.  

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Like I said, buyer beware.

Even if the processor was still working, you would be unsupported on Windows 10 (if that is your goal).

You can probably get a functional processor off of ebay for a very reasonable price, but you would still have system worth little.

Take it back to the seller, who may refund you, or get you a working processor.   There is nothing that can be done here.

ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I recently purchased a new computer, but I looked at a lot first.  I saw there's plenty of people selling refurbished computers where they hide "refurbished" in the fine print.  A lot of Amazon resellers are bad about this ... surprised Amazon lets them get away with it.  If the price looks like a really good deal, that's a clue!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

...And they are your only source of warranty!

0 Kudos
kktrocks
Beginner

I tried with another processor and this one also gets heated too much. So there looks be to some other problem. Also computer gets restarted after 30 seconds to 1 min. 

Also my windows not getting started properly and I am seeing below Error codes: 

Stop Code: BAD POOL HEADER 

STOP CODE: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

STOP CODE: IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL

STOP CODE: KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

Does this mean is there any problem with the cabling? 

Or there might be a problem with some parts of the motherboard?

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 12.00.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 12.00.20 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 12.00.20 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-16 at 12.00.20.jpeg

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, there is nothing that can be done here.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

To be clear, when you purchase a system product, your warranty comes from the system supplier. You have no warranty from Intel. The system supplier has a warranty with Intel, however, and can get the processor replaced. You cannot. Bottom line, the supplier of this system must replace the processor if it is defective - presuming you actually received a warranty with the supplier; I am suspecting not.

...S

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

I wonder if a processor deteriorates from time in storage even if you don't use it?  If it got old enough, it seems like there might be some degradation, no?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I think it is more likely that the processor is not supported by the bios.

0 Kudos