Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

MY i7 IS BLOCKED AT 0,48 GHz !!

KArno5
Beginner

[my english may have errors] I have a laptop with an Intel core i7 5500U (2 cores, 2,4 GHz) but my PC is unusable, my CPU is blocked at 20% of use and he is blocked at 0,48 GHz. I can't play any game even the worst game in the lowest graphics. I tried to change some bios settings, put the performance mode and nothing ! For information: it's impossible to change the CPU or GPU because they are welded to the motherboard. WHEN I BOOT WINDOWS INTO SAFE MODE, MY CPU WORKS FINE ! He is at 2,39 GHz and he can go up to 100% of use. I tried to reinstall windows and it didn't change anything. PLEASE HELP ME !!!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What are you using to determine the speed?

What version of Windows 10? 1909? 2004?

What model number is your laptop?

Doc

0 Kudos
KArno5
Beginner

I'm using the task manager, my version of windows is windows 10 1909. My PC is a Lenovo thinkpad e550​

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KArno5, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue with the Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor being stuck at 0.48 GHz of Base Frequency still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
KArno5
Beginner

Yes, my problem persists, I need more help. A few days ago, I have installed windows 7 and my CPU is always blocked. My conclusion: even if i install windows 95, my CPU will be blocked each time. I searched a little and it is possible that the problem comes from here: I don't have battery on my laptop because she swollen, each time i want to use my laptop I must connect the charger. Can my problem come from the fact that I have no battery ?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

KArno5, Thank you very much for providing that information.

In order to confirm if there is a problem with the Intel® Core™ i7-5500U Processor, you can always run the Intel® Processor Diagnostics tool, it does an overall test on the unit and if it passes the test it indicates that it is working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

I looked in Lenovo's web site for drivers and according to the information in there Windows* 10 is supported by the laptop. So, what we recommend is get in contact directly with Lenovo in order to gather the instructions of how to to do a BIOS update to the latest version available in their web site, which is 1.35 and also to reset the BIOS to default settings, there might be an option in the BIOS that is limiting the Intel® Processor to run at that speed:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-edge-laptops/thinkpad-e550/downloads/driver-list/component?name=BIOS%2FUEFI 

In reference to your question, yes, the problem could be very well related to the fact that the battery is not working on the laptop, but that is something that will be determined by Lenovo itself. Keep in mind that the laptop is also customized by them, they can enable/disable features and functions on the system and also established certain limitations on certain components in the computer.

So the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with them, to update the BIOS and restore it to default values, to confirm if the problem is actually related to the battery not working on the laptop and if it is possible for them to do a physical inspection of the computer to determine if there is a hardware problem with it and for them, if necessary, to provide the warranty options on the unit:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KArno5
Beginner

I installed the CPU diagnostic tool and I did the test. the software says "pass" on all tests but i noticed a problem: during the "CPUFreq" test, the CPU stayed at 0,48GHz but the diagnostic tool indicates "measured frequency -- 2,39378" (≈2,39 GHz). For the bios update, the software won't start without battery installed in the laptop so I ordered a battery on Amazon. I will do the bios update when i will receive the battery.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"the software won't start without battery installed in the laptop "

I think you just found the problem.

Doc

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello KArno5, I just wanted to check if you received the battery already, if you were able to do the BIOS update and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos