Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

March 12 Linux microcode download incomplete. Where are the missing microcodes?

SBlac3
Novice

The March 12 Microcode update download is incomplete.

Many processor microcodes listed in the Microcode update guidance of Mar 6 are not included in the Linux microcode download.

For example, the Westmere class (206c2) microcode update to 0x1E mentioned there is missing.

As the computer manufacturer does not offer a BIOS update, I need the microcode file.

So, where can I download these updated microcodes?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Snurg,

Thank you for your contacting us.

I understand that you are unable to find the micro-code for the processor you currently have.

In order to assist you better please provide us with your system information (CPU model) so we can try look deeper into download that you need.

As well, please let us know:

What type of microcode are you looking for?

What's the specific reason for your system to be updated?

I really hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Hello Diego,

the processors I for which I need the microcode update file are CPUID 206C2 (Westmere EP)

The https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf Intel Microcode Update Guidance of April 3, page 16, first row, says I must deploy Microcode rev. 0x1E.

The reason why I need the microcode update file is the well-known Spectre/Meltdown issue (see also the description on page 2 of the Microcode Update Guidance I referred to).

The computer manufacturer does not offer a BIOS update.

So I need the microcode file for updating my Linux/BSD workstations by the OS itself.

However, the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27591/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File most recent Linux microcode download I am aware of is from March 12, and does not contain this microcode.

Now it is three weeks ago the microcode version 0x1E for CPUID 206C2 has officially been declared as of production quality.

So there is the question:

Where can I obtain the microcode update file?

Where can the other microcode files mentioned in the above Update Guidance, which are not included in the most recent Linux microcode download, be downloaded?

Thank you for your assistance.

idata
Employee

Hello Snurg,

Thank you for your response.

I regret to inform you that at the moment the only information available on this topic can be found here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/facts-about-side-channel-analysis-and-intel-products.html

I hope to hear from you soon, please let me know if there is any other question or concern.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Can you please re-check with your superiors that your answer is correct?

Because, if Intel is not going to release the microcode fixes to the public, the only plausible explanation is that the public is left with insecure systems intentionally by Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Snurg,

Thank you for your patience.

I have sent you a private message, please go ahead and take a look at your Inbox.

Best Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
SWalk
Beginner

Hi Diego,

Any news when the updated microcode referenced in the April 2nd guidance will be released?

I'm after the following:

CPUID MCU rev

106A5 0x1c

106E5 0x09

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure what you are asking for; they are both in Production status, so have already been released.

...S

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Dear N. Scott Pearson,

please either tell us where the microcodes you allege of "already been released" can be downloaded, or do us a favor by keeping quiet.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
SWalk
Beginner

Hi N. Scott Pearson,

Did you read the original post?

While they may both state 'Production', they aren't in the download.

0 Kudos
GTreu
Beginner

For the CPU N3450 I am missing a microcode file 06-5c-09 telling that it is version 2e listed as "Production". In all of the latest microcode updates only version 2c from last year is contained.

Dear Intel people - the meltdown/spectre checker tells that I have performance impact, and this:

"IBPB is considered as a good addition to retpoline for Variant 2 mitigation, but your CPU microcode doesn't support it."

Please be so kind to provide these files to your customers. Many manufactures are lazy providing BIOS updates.

I repeat (someone listening?): Please be so kind to provide these files to your customers. Many manufactures are lazy providing BIOS updates.

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

From the 77 processor families listed in the "Microcode Revision Guidance" as "Production", only 42 (55%) are supplied with updates.

35 (45%) got no updates, and 10 of those are even supplied with obsolete updates that help tricking unsuspecting users in believing that they got a Meltdown/Spectre mitigation update.

If you want to read more details about that situation, Intels' responses to users inquiring for the missing microcodes and the conclusions of my investigations, read https://bsd.denkverbot.info/2018/05/exposed-missing-meltdownspectre.html my writeup here.

0 Kudos
MGorb1
New Contributor I

That's really strange. Thanks to your analysis it seems that it couldn't be a problem with CPU which aren't officially supported under Linux by Intel. And that was my first thought.

I've got Apollo Lake SoC devices which MCU mitigating Spectre variant 2 isn't provided by Intel (at least to the public).

0 Kudos