Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Max Temp for my processor i7-10700K Comet Lake

JoakoShep
Novice

Hello, I'm worry about my max temperatures. While I'm working on regular basis, using Chrome, Netflix, Word, etc, its around 40C (mostly 36C) degrees, but when I play games like GTA 5 or Watch Dogs 2, it gets over 90C and sometimes it touch the 100C, I dont know if it is okay or should I worry and what should I do about it. I have a RTX 2080 Super running whit it. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would modify the fan speed control configuration in the BIOS so that the fan response is more aggressive (i.e. increase fan speed at a faster rate and/or increase fan speed starting at a lower temperature).

...S

JoakoShep
Novice
Is it the same if I configure it from the MSI Afterburner? Because from there I dont see much change in temperature in the CPU (I do not want to do overclock, I just use the MSI to check stats). I did open the cage and it did help, so I guess I just need more ventilation? Thank you!
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JoakoShep, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach).  

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. 

3. Run the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) and send us a screenshot of the frequencies and temperatures while running this tool. 

4. The brand and model number of: Power Supply Unit (PSU), Cooling Solution. 

5. Is this the first time that you are facing this behavior or did it start happening recently? In case it started recently, do you remember making any changes before the issue started?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
JoakoShep
Novice

@Sebastian_M_Intel Here is everything: 

Power Suply: Aerocool Cylon 700W Full Range RGB 80 Plus Bronze

Cooler: CPU Zalman CNPS5X Performa Intel 1151 & AMD AM4 

My PC is quite new, and I believe since I got it, it has those problems. It functions all right all the times, even the temperature when I do some normal work, like Chrome and those stuff, but when I run programs that require more CPU power, it gets too hot. Thank you very much! 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JoakoShep, 

Thank you for the reply, please check the following details: 

• I can see that your motherboard has a newer BIOS that you can install, try to update it and let us know about the outcome (check with the OEM for help): https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-Z490-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/ 
  • Based on the SSU report, the RAM is running at 3600MHz, while this CPU runs up to 2933MHz, check that here under Memory Specifications: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199335/intel-core-i7-10700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html 
  • Based on the above, since the RAM is running higher than expected, this is considered overclocking. I will highly recommend you to check with the OEM to set the BIOS settings to its defaults, and in case the default settings run the memory higher than 2933, try setting the range manually.  
  • If this does not help, please run one of the games that cause this problem and provide a screenshot of the Task Manager: Right-Click on the task bar and choose Task Manager from the menu. 
  • Additionally, can you please let us know what is the brand and model number of the case that you are using? And, what type of airflow configuration are you using? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.

JoakoShep
Novice

Hello! I've trying to update the BIOS but I'm not familiar with it, so I couldn't do it and I didn't want to try any futher for fear of making any mistake and make it worse. Still, I try with opening the side of the case and the temperatures go to 70-85s (I think top was 88s, but just for a second), and I think it is way better, right?

My case is a Redragon Sideswipe PRO. About the airflow, I'm unsure about it, how do I check it? (Sorry, I'm quite new at this)

Thank you! 

PD: What's the meaning of OEM?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JoakoShep,  

Thank you for your reply, please check below for more information: 

1. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, in this case by the Motherboard's OEM we meant Asus*. You can check with them how to properly update the BIOS and set the correct settings to avoid using the PC higher than originally intended (memory speed). 

2. About airflow it depends on the way the fans are set inside your case. When case fans pull in more air than they push out, it creates positive pressure in the case. When fans are pushing out more air than they are pulling in, the result is negative pressure. The idea for ATX components is that the airflow goes from front to back. Air enters the chassis from vents at the front and drawn through the chassis by the power supply fan and rear chassis fan. The power supply fan exhausts the air through the back of the chassis. Check the following links for more information: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006744/processors.html

https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/gaming/resources/pc-cooling-the-importance-of-keeping-your-pc-cool.html?erpm_id=8879876_ts1600983053039&erpm_id=8879876_ts1600983054056

3. The temperatures between 70-85°C are better, in fact, the TJunction (maximum temperature allowed at the processor die) is for 100°C (but is not recommended to use it the whole time under this temps), check that here under Package Specifications: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199335/intel-core-i7-10700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html 

4. As you mentioned this changed after opening the case, this makes me think the problem can be either the RAM speed or the airflow (this seems more likely to be). You can also check with Redragon* for the correct way to set the airflow based on the case you have.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JoakoShep,  

Were you able to check the previous post and follow our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello JoakoShep,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos