Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14527 Discussions

Maximum RAM-type in i5-2450m

Pakinazo
Beginner

Hi, I´m looking to upgrade my RAM and I have this processor https://ark.intel.com/content/www/es/es/ark/products/53452/intel-core-i5-2450m-processor-3m-cache-up-to-3-10-ghz.html,

in Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)16 GB, What does it meant with "(dependent on memory type)"?

currently I have 2x2GB, so looking to buy 8GB to obtain 10GB.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Some processors support multiple memory types (examples: DDR2/DDR3, DDR3L/DDR4); the design of the motherboard determined which was supported. In the case of your laptop, I believe it was limited to DDR3 SODIMMs - but you should check with your laptop manufacturer.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Some processors support multiple memory types (examples: DDR2/DDR3, DDR3L/DDR4); the design of the motherboard determined which was supported. In the case of your laptop, I believe it was limited to DDR3 SODIMMs - but you should check with your laptop manufacturer.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Pakinazo
Beginner

Oh ok Thank you so much!, yes it is DDR3 only, now I am in a dilema, if should I go for 8GB (2x4GB) dual channel or 10GB (8GB+2GB) single channel, with my currently 4GB (2X2GB) can´t compile ionic projects in Visual Studio Code, and I also would like to play some games, have one NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M with 1GB

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Why don't you go with 2x8GB? Dual channel and more memory. If you want to be gaming on this thing, you will likely need this much memory.

...S

0 Kudos
Pakinazo
Beginner
0 Kudos
Pakinazo
Beginner
So i decided to take your advice and found a good brand memory price for 2X8GB, thank you!
0 Kudos
heyrobbie
Novice
hello sir....i am wondering if i can put a 8 Gb DDR4 2666mhz or 3200mt/s Ram on an Intel Pentium Silver N5000.....which has 4Gb DDR4 2400mhz on it expandable upto 8......can higher speed ram be put in it.??
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You probably can, but I do not recommend it. Also, this is technically overclocking and could affect your warranty.

...S