Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

Meltdown and Spectre on gen 10 cpu

mcorl2
Beginner

​Meltdown and Spectre were an issue with "8th generation Intel® Core™ processors", are they still a problem with 10th generation? I would guess no, but would like confirmation that I am safe buying a 10th gen CPU

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos
mcorl2
Beginner

​My understanding is that Gen 10 doesn't solve the problem, and it will probably be many years before Intel do properly address this issue.

So I may as well buy a computer with Gen 10 CPU, since otherwise I would have to put off purchasing for several years.

Also there are more direct ways of hacking a PC, eg through malware, software which improperly accesses data, which is less sophisticated than the Meltdown / Spectre bug.

Is that right?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"Also there are more direct ways of hacking a PC, eg through malware, software which improperly accesses data, which is less sophisticated than the Meltdown / Spectre bug.

Is that right?"

Yes, that is correct.

Doc

0 Kudos
mcorl2
Beginner

So, just to summarise, I can buy a Gen 10 CPU system, since the "clever" bug won't be solved for some years yet, if ever. 

Can you reassure me my understanding is correct?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would not call it a "clever bug". But, yes, your understanding is correct. And, remember, amd and qualcomm have the same issue.

Doc

0 Kudos