Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

Memory Management BSoD with 5820K (Win10)

BRoeb
Beginner

I bought a computer last December and it has an MSI X99A Raider Motherboard with a 5820K and 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM 2400 DDR4 (1033Mhz, auto-clocked) running on Windows 10 Pro (current public build) I also have an MSI GeForce 980Ti Seahawk 6 GB GPU. All of my drivers are up to date.

I'm not sure what is going on as I keep getting generic 0x1A Memory_Management errors last one was generated by ntoskrnl.exe. Did some searches first time I saw it (about 2 months ago) after the first time I saw it (happened while I was updating a few games at the same time). I have updated my drivers since then and have been receiving the same BSoD every once in a while. I received it today when I ran sic.exe /verifyonly which I thought was strange because that single task is not that rough on computers.

As an aside I bought an Intel Tuning Protection Plan and started messing around with my clock speeds (after the first blue screen) and was only able to get the processor up to 4.0 Ghz with a stable overclock. I was able to get it to 4.2 but was sitting right on the thermal limit so I backed it off to an even 4, I have noticed that others were able to get it to 4.5 so I'm wondering if it may have a design flaw that is affecting the memory bandwidth. I have run a few memory tests on it, one from memtest x86 and another from Windows Memory Diagnostic but both have come back clean. I also tried stress testing my cpu to see if I couldn't cause a fault but it passed running for 15 minutes with a thermal maximum of 56C.

I have not tested using a single RAM stick but I'm going to try each one to see if I have any faults.

I have also not tested the motherboard and plan to get in touch with MSI regarding this issue.

If anyone could give me some help on this and steps I should take to make sure everything is tested it would be much appreciated. I do not have another Windows computer to do a part exchange with for testing.

If this is a processor issue, how does the RMA process work.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, MilDocJr:

Does the error persist when you run your PC with default settings?

If you would like to replace your processor please contact us at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support in order to check your replacement options.

Regards,

0 Kudos
BRoeb
Beginner

Yes I still receive memory management errors with my bios flashed to factory settings and my processor configured without any overclocking profiles. Everything is reporting up to date. I am running a few test on my motherboard to ensure the problem doesn't reside there but I will contact support if I feel a replacement is necessary.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Alright, keep me posted.

Regards,

0 Kudos
BRoeb
Beginner

For now I haven't had any issues, NVidia had a driver update on the first of the month and Windows had a cumulative update post at the same time. I've updated both and sent it in to a local computer shop to have them check things over. The processor cooler (Asetek 550lc 120mm) was keeping the CPU at 39-41C at idle but I ended up replacing it with a Corsair H105 which brought the temps down another 10C. If it helps I can post a zip of the memory.dmp or the minidump.dmp in OneDrive and link it here for someone to look at. But I'm going to see how things go over the next week or two and if I get the issue again then I'll use your support link above for a possible replacement.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Sure, keep us posted and feel free to attach those files, I will check them myself.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

I have been checking those files but unfortunately I have not been able to find any alarming info there. If you would like to get more feedback in regard to these dump files I would recommend posting them here http://hwbot.org/ Overclocking, overclocking, and much more! Like overclocking.

Let me know your findings in regard to the tests that you were running.

Regards,

0 Kudos