Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Microcode update is incorrect

RLobl
Beginner

For the latest "Linux Process Microcode Data File" (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=873 Download Linux* Processor Microcode Data File) on 1/8/18, it lists the products that are valid for the download.

The Intel Xeon Processor X5680 is listed as a valid processor for that download.

Looking through the download for this, there is no firmware file for that processor. The Family/Model/Stepping is 6/2c/2, and there is no file called 06-2c-02 in the intel-ucode directory in that download.

You should probably have an engineer or a front end developer look at this and correct it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

RobertLoblaw: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Processors communities. We will do our best to provide the information you are looking for.

Thank you very much for providing this information, currently we are doing further research on this subject, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Dear Alberto,

I have the same problem.

See please /thread/121561http: my question, too.

It's urgent. The users cannot wait weeks to get a such simple question answered.

A timely answer would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Oops, there happened a mistake with pasting the link. The correct link is: /message/519850# 519850 https://communities.intel.com/message/519850# 519850

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel committed to delivering all fixes by the end of the month. Any requests for information about missing microcode, microcode orders, etc. short of then are premature and a waste of everyone's time.

Intel Customer Support is not going to be able to provide you with any better answers; all they can do it point you to the primary web page.

...S

0 Kudos
SBlac3
Novice

Dear Scott,

it's sad Intel does not communicate the whole thing well.

First there was a microcode release (on Jan 9 I think), suggesting that includes all processors.

Then many people found that their processors were not included.

And later then they added on one page deep in their site, that only 90% of their processors were covered and they're working on that.

They should have been clear about this from the beginning.

This would have saved many people much time.

0 Kudos
RLobl
Beginner

Yep its going to be a show. I have close to 150 servers in production that need to be patched. They will not be receiving official BIOS updates from the vendor/oem so that means that I've been having to patch the BIOS images with a hex editor MANUALLY (Yes this is extremely tedious) since Microsoft doesn't want to release an msu.

As you can imagine, one mistake and I brick the server. It's quite an understatement to say that this has been a major hassle.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Stefan,

Intel was quite clear. They said from day 1 that they would take until the end of the month to deliver updated microcode for all affected processors. The problem is that people just assumed that, if Intel was releasing *any* updates, it was releasing *all* updates. Bad assumption!

...S

0 Kudos
JFlet2
Beginner

Dear N. Scott Pearson,

The issue is that on the Intel download site many many processors are listed for this download. "This download is valid for the product(s) listed below."

After the download and much time wasted it is discovered that in fact there is only a small set of the processors listed which have updated microcode.

This is a big waste of time. I for one wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong and not getting the updated microcode that the site said I should be getting.

/message/520320# 520320 7. /message/520320# 520320 Re: Microcode update is incorrect

N. Scott Pearson

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I repeat: Intel's commitment is to deliver all updates by the end of the month.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

RobertLoblaw: I sent you a private message, please verify your inbox.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos