Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

More information about i7-9800X memory controller.

T__RK
Beginner

I have got motherboard with 4 DIMM slots and can't decide which memory modules to buy: single rank or dual rank (ranks, not channels!). I think memory controller support limited amount of ranks, but i am not sure, since I can't find this information anywhere (included Intel documents).

I know that i7-9800X support Quad Channel, but i also need to know how many ranks it support to don't overload it OR spent more money on RAM which don't work or not even used.

Main goal in total - use CPU, RAM and motherboard with maximum performance.

P.S. Buildzoid in one his video even talk about very rare configuration - 3 ranks per channel (dual rank E-Die + single rank E-Die).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
T[]RK, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In reference to your question, the memory RAM supported by the Intel® Core™ i7-9800X processor is size: 128GB, speed: DDR4-2666 Mhz and it support 4 channels as you can see here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/189122/intel-core-i7-9800x-x-series-processor-16-5m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html For further details about the memory RAM configuration you can also verify the datesheet of the processor, please verify page 17: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/core/8th-gen-core-datasheet-vol-1.html In order to make sure about the memory settings for your platform, we recommend to also verify the memory configuration with the manufacturer of the motherboard. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporatio
0 Kudos
T__RK
Beginner

Hello Alberto!

I don’t think this document is correct. Page 9 saying that this document for Intel Core U processor family (Whiskey Lake).

My question was about i7-9800X processor which is Skylake-X family.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
T[]RK, I just wanted to let you know that the document provided previously is correct and it also applies to 9th generation processors like the one you have, also, the specifications showing in our official web site are correct and validated by Intel®. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos