Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

My 1st desktop build

KFlucas937
Novice
Hello Intel community. I have recently started ordering parts for my 1st desktop build. My 1st purchase was the MSI Z490 EDGE GAMING WIFI motherboard. I am not a gamer nor do I plan to start. Being new to building a PC I was intrigued by the features, specs & ultimately the price. I plan to use it for CAD, coding, programming, storing music, videos & photos. Editing videos. Content creating. As well as designing & building editing & managing my own personal website. My question to you all is which LGA1200 cpu should I go with? Should I wait for the 11th gen? Also, what graphics card would you recommend? Any & all advice, tips, recommendations & suggestions are gratefully appreciated. Even those to questions I haven't asked. Thanks y'all.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to ask msi what processors are SUPPORTED BY THEIR BIOS.  Then, you can select from those.

Or, you can look at the MSI cpu support page.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z490-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI#support-cpu

Doc

0 Kudos
KFlucas937
Novice
0 Kudos
KFlucas937
Novice
AlHill that's the same list I've already seen. Perhaps you misunderstood. Or maybe I should've asked, which processor from that list will best suit my needs?
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not know what your needs are.  Speed?  Cost? Features?

you can use Intel ARK to select and compare processors.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html

Select your processor by entering the model number in the "search specifications"

Then, check the box to "add to compare".  Then, enter another processor in the search box. Then add to compare.  Repeat.  When done, click compare.

If you are going to be building a desktop, a good part of that process is doing the research.

Doc

AlHill
Super User

Since you seem to want everything, I would go with the biggest, fastest, most cache, etc.

Doc

KFlucas937
Novice
Yes sir. I am definitely doing my research & trying not to rush & buy on impulse. Especially with me being VERY green(newbie). However, there's 2 more items I've purchased so far. Tell me if I'm headed in the right direction....970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB..... Thermaltake Commander C36 tower
0 Kudos
KFlucas937
Novice
I'll use it to learn coding & programming. Content creation. Building, editing & managing my own personal website. Video editing....
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I like the samsung nvme.  Great for performance.

Regarding the thermaltake case, it does nothing for me.  I do not care for the led fans and the design.  I like a simple, unoffensive case.  So, the case is a personal choice.  As long as it accepts your motherboard, and you like the case, that is all there is to it.

As I said previously, you want this build to do everything.  And, this is your first build.  You want an awful lot in this case.  My personal opinion is that you may want too much (for a first build).  And, again in my opinion, I am not a fan of MSI.

Video card selection?  There are plenty of sites that compare and rank video cards.  You should visit those sites:

And, selection of a video card will affect which power supply you select.

You want:

• CAD,
  • coding,
  • programming,
  • storing music, videos & photos.
  • Editing videos.
  • Content creating.
  • designing & building editing & managing my own personal website.

All this tells me is that you need memory and processor power.  So, you should select acccordingly.

This site can provide you with processor comparisons, and graphic card comparisons:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-build-a-pc,5867.html

I would be concerned about putting everything on one machine.   What if your machine fails?  How does your website get accessed?  Or, does some provider host your website?

Lots to think about for a first build.

Doc

0 Kudos