Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

My CPU crashes every time I apply OC. (i9900K)

KenFlareG
Beginner

Not only is there a fan detection error prohibiting me from normally starting my PC now (fully functional fan btw), now my i9 is stuck at 1 active core according to XTU and a max GHz of 3.6

I want extra power to run MW 2019 more than 60fps in-game.

I have a RTX2080 paired with this thing, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know what I'm doing and can't fix this without support, but Intel provides NOTHING upfront.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

First, update your bios from the motherboard manufacturer.

If you are having fan control problems, contact the board manufacturer.

Then, read this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/how-to-overclock.html

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, whose motherboard? Do they not have any support for their board?

Doc

0 Kudos
KenFlareG
Beginner

Motherboard: ROG Z390-E

BIOS: American Megatrends

@Al.Hill​ 

0 Kudos
KenFlareG
Beginner

The other issue is that my CPU Liquid Cooling's main block is being tracked as a fan that doesn't work.

Found that out, just don't know how to fix it.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Contact the cooler manufacturer, and the board manufacturer for support with that.

Doc

0 Kudos
KenFlareG
Beginner

@Al.Hill​  All of the XTU settings they want me to change such as applying Boost and changing the Ratio Multiplier are nonfunctional, all of them are grey'd out.

This has to be the most infuriating, useless, and inefficient use of money for this CPU.

The default OC setting doesn't load properly, my GPU is being bottlenecked by this POS, and none of the settings that are easy to change in XTU are available.

I despise Intel after this purchase and would opt for the new Ryzen processors if I could. This is the worst experience I've had with hardware BY FAR.

APPLY A SETTING TO SOMETHING I PAID BEYOND EXTRA FOR, BEING SUCH A HASSLE IS UNACCEPTABLE.

@ChrisV_Intel​  @Alberto_Intel​ 

THERE IS NO UPFRONT CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND NO BACK-UP PLAN FOR WHEN YOUR PRODUCTS DON'T WORK AS INTENDED.

0 Kudos
KenFlareG
Beginner

When I paid for this OCing CPU, I expected to be able to turn it on and off with ease for performance when I needed it. Just like it's been shown off, you open the BIOS, apply the OC default, and install XTU to further manage it.

AND WHAT I'VE RECEIVED IS: A high end, overpriced CPU that bottlenecks my GPU's performance, that crashes on benchmarks, and doesn't OC without EXTENSIVE work/knowledge.

This is absolutely unacceptable in every right and I will be determining to remove and demand a refund for my i9. I'm already suffering with a Tethered Spinal Cord and a plethora of other medical BS and you people have the nerve to mess up your product to THIS MUCH OF A DEGREE.

I have thousands of things better to do than stress out about your dysfunctional product that needs advanced tuning. Especially with your sub-par/nonexistent tech support, this is a horrific way to treat any customer.

0 Kudos
ZWang106
Beginner

@KenFlareG​ STRIX Z390-E?​ Forget it and buy a more powerful motherboard please, that's not a safe choice for 9900K OC due to limited power supply.

At least use one of Maximus XI series(ASUS)/ AORUS series(Gigabyte)/ ACE or Godlike(MSI).

Overclocking needs suitable motherboard, RAM and PSU. 390-E is a good board with 9600/9700s, but not enough for 9900K OC.

0 Kudos
ZWang106
Beginner

Plus, if you are expecting to "be able to turn it on and off with ease", I suggest MSI boards.

Their BIOS is friendly enough: enter bios, find OC page, fill "multiple frequency" textbox or whatever it shows with 50, then press f10. MSI will do everything else automatically.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@KenFlareG​ You really need to examine your bios and motherboard.

Placing all of the blame on the processor is extremely premature.

And,, the processor has nothing to do with your cooling system/fan, assuming they are installed correctly. A fan detection error is entirely related to the board and bios, and how it is installed.

I am sorry you are having problems with your setup and integration. However, you have other components in the mix that may be malfunctioning.

Perhaps you should consider consulting with a computer service shop to work out the problems with your board, bios, and cooling system.

Doc

0 Kudos